SeaZen 21

Deep drop reel

Rate this topic

68 posts in this topic

I go take a break or switch to electric after 3# is not enough. I started with a fin-nor ofc 30L and was a great reel. Misplaced it and am replacing with a Avet LX 4.6 that is a great reel for it. Ugly Stick 8' XH is what I have my electric on but also a good rod for manual too. Have a 8' Yankee Capts edition from The Reel Seat that is real nice. Once you do it a few times and learn it is a marathon and not a sprint it gets easier.

My buddy fishes the Avet LX on the Ugly Stik and kills tons of fish.

Don't let the wimps scare you away from deep drop.

I have started using flat bank sinkers that I use electrical tape together to save from carrying so much of a variety of lead.

That being said after about 600' I do like electric. 

31 mins ago, mickrazz said:

If I want tilefish I go to the fish market. 

But does that taste as good as a fish that you shed some blood sweat and tears to get to your table? 

2 hours ago, mickrazz said:

If I want tilefish I go to the fish market. 

I never buy fish, that siht is rude that they sell. Tile fishin aint for sissies.

Funny you say that.

I did a good bit of research on that. I say research, I mean on the inter-webs, workshops, communication w/ those w/ experience etc...,

i wanna make it clear, I’m far from being an expert. I’m just sharing what has been shared w/ me.

Yes you can & it can be good at times. It’s a good bit of work & I have been lead to believe that bait fishing is generally more effective. Jigs & teasers are generally baited. If it’s not too deep & or the drift isn’t too fast, it can be fun. Also, if dogfish are a problem, jigs can slightly lower the odds of getting dogged up.

ive also come to believe that one doesn’t need much of a range of jig variety. Glow, skirts, rattles all can help. Remember, there is VERY little light penitration at these depths, if any. Vibration, movement and smell seem to be key.

depending on location, different species can be more or less likely to bite a jig. Over hard structure, snowy grouper will grab a jig. Further north, big pollack will certainly grab a jig.

Over sand & mud, if if dogs aren’t too bad, one is probably better off just bait fishing.

Hope some of this has been useful.

JD

6 hours ago, SeaZen 21 said:

Is that for real? Everything I’ve read talks about weights from 1-5 pounds

For swords in 2000 feet yeah.

I've done it a few ways.

Break away floss loops to what adrian F showed me last year using a booby trap rig  which is a coat hanger on a floss loop that falls off when it hits bottom.

Even 1 rod used as a down rigger clipped to the baited rod on the other side of the boat (holy **** was that a fail lmao)  had to cut about 3500' of braid out.....but 12 years ago there wasn't a step by step on how to effectively / repetetively drop 2k feet.

13 hours ago, b4loran said:

I never buy fish, that siht is rude that they sell. Tile fishin aint for sissies.

Tile fishing ain’t for those w/ tight budgets either.

JD

17 hours ago, b4loran said:

You guys that don't want to do some work for a fish, what do you fish for ? 

Pleasure. For work I go to work and get paid. 

19 hours ago, b4loran said:

The right fish monger will have very fresh fish.