SeaZen 21

Deep drop reel

Rate this topic

68 posts in this topic

4 mins ago, MakoMike said:

You'll never even hit bottom fishing in 600 feet of water with any decent current.

Why? Line doesn’t come off the spinner fast enough?

I’ve done it a couple times.

yes electrics are much less physical work. W/ out one, depending on length of trip (time at the tail), depth & current, it can be physically grueling.

i was given advice by Dave A at reel seat in Brielle NJ. He’s a local expert. He says at least 500yds of line, probably 600. 50 lb braid to limit drag. I have a Maxell Ocean Max. Works well. People love Okuma Makira two speed but it’s pretty expensive.

if you like long boat trips, & bottom fishing, & don’t mike the big weights & time spent cranking, & you can afford the expensive gear & heft prices of the trips,  it can be fun & rewarding. I like Voyager, Viking apparently has some nice trips too.

Good Luck & have fun.

JD

There is no joy cranking up 36oz lead weights up from 800’ to rebait :scared: Only thing worse is double header dog fish and a 36oz weight from 900’.  

That’s 300 yards deep :eek:  If the drift is up you’ll be cranking in 400yds of line each time. Only done it twice, both with borrowed but quality gear. It was exhausting, I’m guessing the right reel would make a huge difference.

16 hours ago, SeaZen 21 said:

Why? Line doesn’t come off the spinner fast enough?

Too little line, too little weight, too little little. Throw the rod overboard and it might hit bottom 1/2 a mile away.

Posted (edited) · Report post

it depend on how deep you going to fish.

they fish 600' to 900' deep with electrick reel using sinkers from 10 lb to 20 lb.

one guy try to save on sinkers ha cast his own 15 lb concreete sinker,the weight was there but biger diameter,it took long time to get there,he broke 4 sinkers while fishing,that is from $50 to  $75 one sinker.

it is interesting somting to do,but the fishing is like operating lift to top  off building.

Edited by snag777

That guy thinks like me. I was going to suggest disposable sinkers. Free sash weights. Concrete sounds good too. Attach the sinker to your rig with 6lb test mono. Leave it on the bottom when you reel up. Won't work for drifting for tiles but could do it at anchor.

1 hour ago, TimS said:

There is no joy cranking up 36oz lead weights up from 800’ to rebait :scared: Only thing worse is double header dog fish and a 36oz weight from 900’.  

That’s 300 yards deep :eek:  If the drift is up you’ll be cranking in 400yds of line each time. Only done it twice, both with borrowed but quality gear. It was exhausting, I’m guessing the right reel would make a huge difference.

This is why I don't go on these trips. I don't think that is "fun"! The only time I've dropped with a pound or more was picking up tiles when the tuna didn't cooperate.

2 mins ago, Mike said:

That guy thinks like me. I was going to suggest disposable sinkers. Free sash weights. Concrete sounds good too. Attach the sinker to your rig with 6lb test mono. Leave it on the bottom when you reel up. Won't work for drifting for tiles but could do it at anchor.

That's the way we used to do it. real PITA lugging milk crates full of sash weights onto the boat. We even had releases that would open with a quick jerk and leave the sash weight on the bottom. Can you still get sash weights these days?

27 mins ago, snag777 said:

it depend on how deep you going to fish.

they fish 600' to 900' deep with electrick reel using sinkers from 10 lb to 20 lb.

Is that for real? Everything I’ve read talks about weights from 1-5 pounds

28 mins ago, SeaZen 21 said:

Is that for real? Everything I’ve read talks about weights from 1-5 pounds

No.

1-5 sounds about right. If you need more than that, get a snack, take a nap & wait for tide to slow.

JD