SeaZen 21

Deep drop reel

Rate this topic

68 posts in this topic

Conceding that an electric reel is probably the better choice, at least for ease and efficiency, what type of manual reel would be preferred for deep drop fishing, say for tilefish. I understand some recommend against a high speed reel, using the 10 speed bike riding uphill comparison (you use the lower gears to go uphill). And the lower gear provides more power to fight the fish. But, would the speed of a high speed reel work since most tilefish aren't monsters? Or would a 2 speed reel be the best of both worlds?

Thanks

I'm also curious...and even more so why nobody in this forum could answer this question? :b:

@Sparky has a few trips under his belt.  Perhaps he can opine.

Last time I tilefished it was with a broomstick and a Senator.  The game has changed a lot in 15 years

1 hour ago, Tom T said:

@Sparky has a few trips under his belt.  Perhaps he can opine.

Last time I tilefished it was with a broomstick and a Senator.  The game has changed a lot in 15 years

Last time I tile fished was way over 15 years ago, with a broomstick, senator and a sash weight.

Used to do it quite a bit. I liked the Saltiga star drag (they're making them again after being discontinued for awhile) 50 with 65 or 80 lb braid. Tried a Penn Torque once and hated it. The Saltiga served double-duty for deep dropping and tuna jigging. Still have it somewhere.

23 mins ago, mickrazz said:

2 speed. Fast to rebait, slow with a fish on.

That’s kinda what I was thinking. 

Is there a rule of thumb on line capacity for depth of water? Like, if fishing 600 feet of water, you need to have x amount of line on the reel to accommodate for all the variables (current, drift speed, etc).

20 mins ago, SeaZen 21 said:

That’s kinda what I was thinking. 

Is there a rule of thumb on line capacity for depth of water? Like, if fishing 600 feet of water, you need to have x amount of line on the reel to accommodate for all the variables (current, drift speed, etc).

The more the better, with 200 yards of line you ain't going to fish very deepwater.

10 mins ago, MakoMike said:

The more the better, with 200 yards of line you ain't going to fish very deepwater.

Of course, but is there some type of ratio or other rule of thumb. Like with anchors, the 7:1 rule. With deep drop bottom fishing, is it like 3:1 or anything like that? 

I was was told by someone that you’d want at least 600 yds of line to fish 600 feet of water. That gives a 3:1 ratio of feet of line per foot depth. Is that an accurate statement? 

Just trying to to get others ideas on line capacity of a reel for this type of fishing. 

I don't know a hard and fast rule, there are too many variables. How heavy a weight do you need, how big is the bait? But I wouldn't feel comfortable at all with 4 to 1. Having said that, I have fished in 300 feet of water with barely enough line to tend bottom, and it worked out.

4 hours ago, Mike said:

Heavy spinner, 20lb braid, 3 and 4oz jigs. People may not be using this now, but it's coming. Get ahead of the curve!

You'll never even hit bottom fishing in 600 feet of water with any decent current.