Ford Flex, Ford Transit Connect, Nissan NV200, Mercedes-Benz Metris ?

Sudsy

Going back to the best MPG vehicle that can fit an 11' Rod thread - I've narrowed it down

Looks like these should be in the running - does anyone have any experience with any ?

Obviously beach driving is out, but I live and fish in Monmouth county and there is none of that here anyway

Being able to sleep in the back (lower lot at M for example) and have room for gear - plus get 20 MPG blended average will make up for not driving on the beach the once or twice a year I used to do it.

Edited by Sudsy

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Social Distancing since 1962

A friend had a Flex a few years ago and didn’t like how it drove (too slow) or the interior quality. They traded for Grand Cherokee and liked it much better. 

I have no experience with either of the two vans but if you get one you could make some extra cash delivering packages for Amazon on your way to fishing spots. :)

Seriously looking at the Nisson NV200

Do a camper build

Nissan NV200  

122 cubic foot cargo

25 MPG Combined Avg

5-year/100,000-mile powertrain warranty

$22,000

Check out

Recon Campers - they're doing some sick build outs. 

Unfortunately no one is doing anything like that on the east coast, just them and another small company in the northwest, so it'll have to be a DIY

I'm digging this

5c3f955b3e552_Camperbuild1.jpg.4c8176286aea5c32a1397e0a26c2dffc.jpg

5c3f967594e68_Camperbuild2.jpg.576d97c9c7fc84c0c6476affd798b39e.jpg

Add one of these on the back with a basic box for wet waders, firewood..... stuff

5c3f97430c68d_SwingAway.jpg.a178d16e33dd5ff822f72d9c7f4a5adf.jpg

Edited by Sudsy

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Love the idea of the camper style build out. The issue is, what else is the vehicle going to be used for? Are you planning on staying in NJ or near the beach if you move? Are you closer to 60 than 40? That one hurts, but its gotta make you think about the future and your needs for the next 10-15 years.

I found out that at 60 you don't want to do what you did at 50, even with the perfect conditions. In addition, the easier and more convenient things are the better, I'm not looking to struggle or hump 2 miles of sand to get to nowhere anymore. 

For a minute consider your only 50 minutes from Ocean County, NJ beaches that you can drive on, you don't have to but you can, trust me, there are many nights I wouldn't have fished without the luxury of the buggy. And there are 11' two piece rods today that perform right alongside the one piece sticks. You'll also start to figger out that a 9' rod is more than adequate for 90% of your NJ surf fishing needs, why catch 6 lb. fish on 11' rods? You want to go North, go North, the option of having a warm buggy on a cold November night doesn't suck, it is a great asset as you age. Yes, you'll get lazier, and you'll spend too much time looking around, its a part of experience and wisdom, you earned it, time to adjust your habits. The all nighters are long gone, 2 -3 hours a day is plenty. 

Get yourself a Toyota 4Runner and you'l never regret it. Me, I'm too cheap, I go for the Subaru as its cheap to run and goes up and down the sand well enough for me. But if you want a good vehicle and a good truck to fish out of , beach driving or not, consider the 4Runner. Of course, they aren't cheap, but you don't scare away from top shelf stuff, give it a thought, you'll use it for much more than fishing.

"Thats as big as a fish that size gets" - Russ Wilson
RIP JM

Legitimate thoughts there but we would use it

We still go to a lot of sporting events and tailgate - Been doing that out of our 4 door Wrangler, which is tough

I miss camping at the lower lot at M, would definitely do that more

And it's small enough and gets good enough mileage to be used as a daily driver

And IBSP is a zoo, I go there probably twice a year at most and that's more than enough for me. Plus I have the Wrangler if i want to go deal with that mob

Edited by Sudsy

Mercedes-Benz Metris is also interesting

Bigger than the others but still not a full size, right in between

Gets 22 mpg, Reasonably priced

Parts and repair cost scare me though, it is a Mercedes

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 1:31 AM, Sudsy said:

Legitimate thoughts there but we would use it

We still go to a lot of sporting events and tailgate - Been doing that out of our 4 door Wrangler, which is tough

I miss camping at the lower lot at M, would definitely do that more

And it's small enough and gets good enough mileage to be used as a daily driver

And IBSP is a zoo, I go there probably twice a year at most and that's more than enough for me. Plus I have the Wrangler if i want to go deal with that mob

I wouldn't get an IBSP Pass if it were free, there are a few local beaches north that have reasonable fees for driving on the beach and after dark, your pretty much by yourself for hours at a time. I agree on the Benz. nice vehicles but repairs are costly. How bout an Audi ? What was wrong with the new Suby Ascent? 

"Thats as big as a fish that size gets" - Russ Wilson
RIP JM

VW/Audi repairs are near as much as Mercedes

But......

My son is a mechanic with Ray Catena Jaguar /Land Rover - and that company also carries the Mercedes line so I can get discounted parts and he can handle any work, so I have that going for me.

The Ascent is in the running on the SUV side but first the decision has to be made which way to go -  Mini RV van or SUV

Someday the wife and I want to take a year or two and travel the country in an RV. We figure getting some real world experience in a mini weekender type to start with would be smart. But we have 10 years before we do that so there no rush. The van sized weekender RV doesn't have to be now, it could be a few years down the rd.

Still trying to figure it out

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So, after much study went with the Ford Transit Connect extended body.

Great gas mileage, much peppier than the Nissan which really was a dog, more interior room

Every bell and whistle there is and stumbled into a deal I couldn't say no to

Scored a 2019 that had 1850 miles on it, was used as one of the dealerships courtesy cars - got a brand new vehicle with full warranties and new car interest rate for a used car price.

Start laying out the build tomorrow

5c91c51ce54ef_Transitphoto4.jpg.8c4166cf505aba5c112f938dbb83b78b.jpg