Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ScottO

Going to the range...

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

When you go to the range what are intentions and purposes.  What items do you practice or drill?  I know there is fun associated with just putting holes in paper etc but do you have planned goal of the visit?  What training do you participate in at the range?

The local ranges here do not allow drawing from a holster, unless you are in a match, one range does not allow double tapping, you can only fire one round every 2 seconds, so I am limited in what I can do.

Most range trips at this time are to try new loads in my weapons to check function and accuracy.

Depends:

Currently tuning up for a hunt at the end of the month.

Select firearm for hunt.

The first session will be handling the firearm and acquiring site picture. I am using iron sights so I practice low-gun to mount at home.

I will start the session using light target loads (I am shooting a Marlin GBL in .45-70 govt)

The cowboy action loads are easy and good to deprogram the flinch when I work up to the hotter stuff.

I will shoot off the bench out to 100 yards to get my general sight picture ironed out.

Next is to step up the hunting bullets I have chosen. Determine which bullets perform best from my rifle.

Once I am satisfied with the groups off the rest, I bring the targets into 75 yards and then 50 yards to shoot off-hand with the preferred bullet.

I am happy with Hornady LeverEvolution 325 gr. versus some of the heavier jacketed hollow points.

For handgun I practice with the basics from the start. I seldom go beyond 15 yards.

I'll use a full size like an HK USP to start and then focus on my EDC options. this is usually a Shield 9mm.

My EDC training is nothing more than draw from hip (which is not draw from concealment) where allowed and I work on center mass consistency.

Practice at home with a rubber duck (blue fake gun) for draw from concealment.

I'm not drilling speed as much as consistency and muscle memory since I don't do any tournament shooting.

no drawing from holster,no combat shooting,5 rounds only in the mag.At my range. sometimes i cheat and put 6 in the mag and practice 2 in the chest and 1 head shot. also practice one handed and off handed shooting. 

Edited by big popper

Interesting so far.  I am still working on front sight acquisition and comfortable aiming as well as comfrot with a new firearm.   Trying new combinations of glasses as well as practice with EDW glasses.  I am working mostly with a glock 19 and finishing up with my ruger single six and hopefully soon my shield.  

Just plinking, shooting metal targets. My range is in our woods 100 yards from the house. No one shoots there besides me, my son, and invited guests. Nothing special or alabrit, just a place to shoot.

Like SG said, it depends...

Lately I've been working on grip, sight alignment/picture and general technique for metal matches I've started shooting.

If I've got guests in, a range trip is not unusual and it'll be much more informal.

I usually get the wife to go twice a year and have her shoot her "nightstand gun" Beretta Tomcat.  I also have her shoot my usual carry gun.  I'm working towards setting up my reloading stuff and will at that point have range time to evaluate my reloads and verify their performance and functionality.

I have to say that taking new or non-shooters to the range is a great deal of fun for me.  I usually end up shooting very little, but have a great time with starting folks out.  I know of three people who've purchased their first gun after one of our trips.  Young folks are also great to introduce to shooting, also a lot of fun.

Jeff B.

I'm in the process of joining a local sportsman club.  I was a member briefly years ago and stupidly let it lapse.  Went to the introductory meeting last week and introduced myself to membership.  I get voted on for membership next month, which is pretty much a formality, but I don't get the keys to the indoor and outdoor ranges until then.  The ranges are self monitored, so I can go to the indoor range 24x7 and the outdoor range is 9AM until dusk daily.  There is usually a range officer there on weekends, but it not necessary for one to be there to use the range.  

It's hard to find places to shoot here, so my goal is exercise some of the old firearms I haven't shot in a while, and workout some of the newer ones I acquired.  Other than that, my range goals are mostly to sight in/tune up some firearms/rounds for the various hunting seasons and some plinking for fun. 

Edited by jkrock

Other than my twice annual state pistol qualification, I just will occasionally go run a hundred or so rounds through one of my handguns to make sure it is working as it should be.

Been doing this many years and know my capabilities and that self defense means within 7 yards.