JTR

Marty Walsh Just Said

Rate this topic

51 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

“We (Boston) were just named the best city in the world for finding a job.”

Comments anyone?

Edited by JTR

It is a very hot job market in Boston. Employers are overpaying for talent. The pendulum always swing, and I would not want to be “overpaid” when it swings back. 

50 mins ago, ged said:

It is a very hot job market in Boston. Employers are overpaying for talent. The pendulum always swing, and I would not want to be “overpaid” when it swings back. 

I just had a discussion about this with my boss today.

Him - "We are thinking about promoting you."

Me - "Do I get a say in that?"

Him - "What?"

Me - "I'm not sure I want a promotion."

Him - "What?!!!!"

When the job market turns I don't want to be waiting for my ass to be kicked. We will see where this goes.

I am a Union Tradesman in Boston and I am not a fan of Walsh with his bull**** Sanctuary City stuff and his supporting of Safe Injection Sites but I have to be fair......The world for now anyways are flocking here to Boston. It's the 20-30 something bracket that dominate. I've spent the last several years building lab after lab as well as the latest and greatest research facilities. Tech mecha and these jobs pay well. More to come.....the downside is **** is getting very expensive.

8 hours ago, oceanAddict said:

Hiring in Boston rose 4.3% last month from a year earlier, according to the latest LinkedIn Workforce Report

Try buying a house within a reasonable commute around Boston

12 hours ago, DAQ said:

Named by who?

Per US News, it was Movinga, a German relocation company.  Boston narrowly beat out Munich for the top spot.

If you do IT, healthcare or biotech, Boston has an awesome job market.

I changed jobs last April. During my search while I was going through the interview process for my current job I was also interviewing for six other jobs. And I had a dozen potential jobs in the queue if those didn't work out. Jobs that I applied for last year are still open.

However the housing market does suck. Two family houses that are converted to two-unit condos are going for $500K to $700K a unit in my area.

Edited by zak-striper

3 hours ago, Kones1 said:

Thank you Donald Trump

Trump has nothing to do with it.

Boston has had a surging job market since the early 2000s thanks to the tech boom and colleges like Harvard, MIT, BC, Northeastern, etc providing world class talent to the market. 

During the '08 - '09 crash Boston was one of the few regions in the country that wasn't affected by the crash (or minimally affected). During the crash I was never worried about losing my job. 

Edited by zak-striper

3 mins ago, troutworm said:

Boston,s so great,why did Amazon back out ???

Probably the cost of housing and the sh*tty mass transit system. I'm glad Amazon didn't pick MA. That would of been 10s of thousands more people driving up housing prices and clogging up the Pike or the T

Edited by zak-striper

2 hours ago, Dave588 said:

Try buying a house within a reasonable commute around Boston

I'm on the market and it's insane. Last time I bought the house at the market's peak and not going to repeat this mistake. 

52 mins ago, troutworm said:

Boston,s so great,why did Amazon back out ???

This whole episode, with Amazon looking for a headquarters, was a ruse.

Bezos most valuable asset is his time.  Does anyone really think that Bezos would use his time commuting to and from offices in cities located away from his homes?  Of course not.

It was always, from the beginning, Queens and VA.  Both within an easy commute for Bezos.