Recommendations for waders? Bootfoot or Stockingfoot?

Rate this topic

cityfisherman

Looking to get more into surf fishing, and was wondering what the SOL community would recommend as a solid pair of waders.

I'm looking for a durable pair of waders. I don't mind spending a little bit extra on quality, but don't need top of the line. I was hoping to spend up to $300. Would also like a solid warranty, should anything happen to the waders. Are boot foot more or less durable than stockingfoot?

LL bean? Patagonia? Cabelas?

Thanks much,

James

I wear lightweight stockingfoot waders in the spring and fall made by Caddis with a  pair of Korkers.   Overall paid about $225 for that combo. I was a little cold fishing in december with this setup so thinking about looking for some neoprene for next year.

My old ones were cabelas and lasted for about 9 years. 

Alot of people prefer bootfoot waders for fishing the surf so that sand is not filling up your boot, but I have not really had this issue.

Just now, wellman324 said:

I wear lightweight stockingfoot waders in the spring and fall made by Caddis with a  pair of Korkers.   Overall paid about $225 for that combo. I was a little cold fishing in december with this setup so thinking about looking for some neoprene for next year.

My old ones were cabelas and lasted for about 9 years. 

Alot of people prefer bootfoot waders for fishing the surf so that sand is not filling up your boot, but I have not really had this issue.

Thanks. I think I would probably purchase lightweight waders first. Can you just do a lot of layering underneath to keep your warm or will the cold water eventually get to you?

8 mins ago, Capt Buck said:

I use Orvis Encounter bootfoot with felt boot bottoms. Mine get multiple use both in surf and trout streams , your mileage may vary.

I use the same, I love them mostly because they fit me perfectly. I do think the inseam would be a bit short for a tall person though.

I use bootfoot, but I’m mostly fishing sand and mud. Fishing rocks, I’d recommend stockingfoot with a separate wading boot, will be more stable.

7 mins ago, cityfisherman said:

Thanks. I think I would probably purchase lightweight waders first. Can you just do a lot of layering underneath to keep your warm or will the cold water eventually get to you?

Also check out LL bean . Good prices and customer service.But stay with boot foot waders, There the best for surf fishing. No sand.   For fishing jetties on the rocks , I don't recommend waders at all. There unsafe if you fall in.

Edited by hunter123
Capt, Frank Mundus. The man, the myth, the legand.

I’d go with the boot foot.  I tried using stocking foot in the surf and got a lot of sand in my boots.  I have a pair of Cabela’s that are at least 17 years old.  They were replaced once under warrentee.   I rinse them religeously with fresh water when I get home.  They are starting to show some wear in the suspenders and I guess that I’ll have to replace them next season.  I don’t know if they have a lifetime garintee, but I certainly got my money’s worth.  I’m sure the next pair won’t last nearly as long.

Very subjective - and depends on your fishing. I fish mostly sand beach/surf, with occasional jetty. 

HATE stocking foot on sand beach and surf. The sand gets inside my boots and then it is horrible.

Much prefer Boot foot.

Drawback is that I think Boot is less comfortable and durable long term. I walk and wade a lot. Must have Socks with Bootfoot, or your feet will be raw.

It is easy to rip any wader on accident. Hate trying to fix, and don't care about warranty because I don't have the time to ship, etc.

For the above reasons, my goto wader is Cabelas Cheap Boot Foot with Felt Sole. On sale, under $70. If I toss them at the end of the season, OK. Felt has been fine on sand and light rock use; heavy rocks, must add Korkers.

I feel differently about my hunting waders - where conditions are extreme.

Just my 2 cents.

18 mins ago, cityfisherman said:

I wear under armor pants and wool socks most of the year... even with sweatpants my feet got cold fishing black friday after a few hrs... but it was like 20 degrees out 

41 mins ago, Mono said:

I’d go with the boot foot.  I tried using stocking foot in the surf and got a lot of sand in my boots.  I have a pair of Cabela’s that are at least 17 years old.  They were replaced once under warrentee.   I rinse them religeously with fresh water when I get home.  They are starting to show some wear in the suspenders and I guess that I’ll have to replace them next season.  I don’t know if they have a lifetime garintee, but I certainly got my money’s worth.  I’m sure the next pair won’t last nearly as long.

17 years ? !!!!! Im tryin Cabelas next!

47 mins ago, wellman324 said:

I wear under armor pants and wool socks most of the year... even with sweatpants my feet got cold fishing black friday after a few hrs... but it was like 20 degrees out 

Insulated bootfoots also solve this issue. My feet were almost always cold in stockingfoots...granted a lot of the time it’s because they were leaking lol.

I have neoprene stocking foot waders.  For rocks I wear studded wading boots.  For the sand I picked up a pair of cheap nylon strap type sandals big enough to go over the neoprene foot.  No sand build-up, light weight and low cost.  Only used them a few times but worked good for me.