Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
walter young

Move over Please

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

That depends what your definition of "too close" is. If yur fishing the herring run then expect people to get within 10 feet. On the beach unless it is someone I know I won't fish any closer than 50 or 60 yds. Some people who fish the herring run have no clue. So etiquette has no meaning to them.

Usually some abnormal activity such as inappropriate talking, acts of confusion and weirdness will go a loing way to keep people away. Of course there is always the pit bull on the 100 yard long leashwink.gif

Its expected at the canal or Plum island to be like that, but anywhere else 50 feet is fine, but sometimes people just start fishing only 10 feet away like i'm their best friend, when there are good spots all along the area. Not like I am at the only good spot or anything. I think people just want to fish where someone else is because they think you might know something they don't. But I don't.

Another issue is when fly fishing I've had a couple sit down on the rocks right behind me to have a picnic in the back cast area. I had another woman decide to do Tai Chi at dawn right behind me when nobody was around anywhere. Not to mention kids that throw rocks in the water right next to you.

I'm thinking of making a fishing t shirt that says stay away from me.

I THINK IF THERE IS ROOM ON THE BEACH, YOU SHOULD STAY AT LEAST 75 YARDS AWAY, IF NOT, YOU REALLY DONT HAVE MUCH OF A CHOICE. BUT IF SOMEONE WERE TO GET TOO CLOSE,(LIKE 10-20 FT) I WOULD SAY SOMETHING TO THEM, IF THEY HAVE A PROBLEM,MOVE DOWN THE BEACH OR JUST CAST IN FRONT OF THEM FOR A WHILE, AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS.

This is a bit radical but when my gramps was fishing tournaments in Rhode Island people would often get right on his butt, so what he did was devise a plug that held razor blades pointing out. That way when people cast over him the blades just cut their line. I don't think he ever used it. But it's another option if they really start to bug you.

Powercast with a 12 foot conventional. The modified pendulum cast scares the !@#$ outta everyone within a 50 foot radius. I'm not kidding! biggrin.gif

------------------

fww.gif

The Pause That Refreshes

WY - WELCOME! HappyWave.gifHappyWave.gifHappyWave.gif

Must be your magnetic personality that draws these people to you. wink.gif

You can always try one of the FDNY tee shirts that sport KEEP BACK 200 FEET on their backs. biggrin.gif

I had it happen to me Saturday morning on LBI...I am sitting on the tailgate rigging up at 4:45 in the am...no body else out at all when this truck drives by the main drag, perpendicular to the side streets and I watch slow as he passes me..then he passes out of sight and then back up and heads down the street I am on...now mind you there are easy access on every friggin street in this area and this clown pulls and parks right next to me.

We if anybody was there with a camera they woudl have had a blast...I then start gathering up all my stuff like a twister is coming and start sprinting...ok jogging up to the beach...I get over the dune and there is nobody on the beach from the South Jetty of BI all the way to the middle of Loveladies...well I set up and where does this clown spike his rod...50 feet to my left.

Theres a small jetty near my house, about 60ft long that is sometimes a good spot. Its very popular w/ the flyfish crowd because of its easy accessiblity and long flats on the side.

I've been casting near the end, only to have 4 guys hop out of an SUV and swarm around me w/ flies wizzing all around my head. No says a word to me as one of walks around me to get the front of the jetty.

Long arcing diagonal casts and frantic pencil poppers took care of them.

Another issue is when fly fishing I've had a couple sit down on the rocks right behind me to have a picnic in the back cast area. I had another woman decide to do Tai Chi at dawn right behind me when nobody was around anywhere. Not to mention kids that throw rocks in the water right next to you.

I'm thinking of making a fishing t shirt that says stay away from me.

A couple of years ago, I was taking a casual vacation with my wife down in Sannibel, FL. We hired a guide and did some back-country fishing, but spent a lot of time just working the beach dawn and dusk, either bait fishing with shrimp or casting as we moved down the unfamiliar shoreline.

The problem is that, as a resort area, there were always people who came flying across the beach and into the water half a dozen feet from where I was wading, running into the deeper water to splash around and generally make the area unfishable.

Then there was this teen-aged kid fishing on the beach. He had a couple of buckets of fish parts--blood, guts and all--and at times he'd toss some into the water. When asked what he was doing, he responded "Fishing for sharks," and he was targeting the various inshore shark species that moved through the area. As he poured a little more blood into the wash, and tossed a couple of carcasses and a handful of guts out a dozen or so yards from the beach, you couldn't help noticing the nice, meaty tourists splashing around nearby.

"Shark fishing?" the boy was asked, "With all these people around, isn't it dangerous?"

He looked up and said, "Yeah, I guess it is--they probably ought to get out of the water..."

True story--and a possible response to at least one version of the "too close" problem.