Boots and other shoes for hunting etc...

Rate this topic

SallyGrowler

Florida is flat. The places where I hunt are either sandy or swampy. The only change in elevation is the height of the blind or stand I climb into.

Pig hunting I have used everything from and old pair of Doc Martens to surplus Nam era jungle boots.

Pig hunting central Florida presents three different terrain features: Sandy if you hunt in winter months and rain is sparse coupled with plenty of foot tangle in the form of ground level vines and sticker bushes. If it rains - be prepared to shift from dry terrain and the sticky stuff to soggy-spongy grasslands.

Be prepared to sprint if need be regardless of terrain.

I gave-up using the rubber-boots as exclusive, although convenient if you find yourself in the wet stuff, but sprinting in rubber boots is not practical.

Recently picked up a pair of Smith & Wesson Breach II tactical boots. $80 and were true to size.

Very happy with the fit. The have a reinforced toe, side zip (never had a boot with side zip, now I get it).

The treads appear that they won't be mud-magnets and the boots are fairly light in weight. Where were these when I hunted S. Africa in 2001?

Usually hunting boot fits vary from brand to brand. The absolute worst fitting boot I ever owned were Rocky Outbacks. They run almost a full size small, are very narrow ... and they squeak loudly with each step !?!?

I was very pleased with Danner boots - I had a pair of Danner Bighorns that were good for many years - they run about a half-size small. The treads are great for hilly, rocky terrain. Had them for many years and killed them when I walked through a swamp in Central Jersey that may have been leach field . Left the in the trash at the WMA.... stinky.

I will be breaking in the new boots end of the month.

I have a pair of uninsulated Gore Tex Rocky Outbacks that I "found " this year before the start of the hunting season while going through some crates of my crap in storage.  It was like finding an old friend.  I probably got them in 1993 and they have a million miles on them from my days in Washington State.   Cleaned em up and wore them  a lot this fall walking around bird hunting. Lightweight, dry and very comfortable for my use.

"mother Theresa was a POS"-fish'nmagician

Browning Kangaroo 10" lace ups.  Bought new in 1996 after moving back from Alaska.  They're on at least the 3rd resole and maybe the 10th insole. Ignore the dust...under it is a healthy amount of Mink Oil done maybe twice a year.

Browning.jpg

The wheels on my reels go round and round...round and round...round and round...