Thumb-Burner

Need recommendation for 7' light bucktail rod

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

Looking for thoughts on 7' rod to cast 1/2-1oz bucktails from the beach.  Prefer to stay under 75 bucks and dint care for "split grips".   Spinning 

I know nothing about these type sticks.  This will be for targeting flounder and redfish.  Not big stripers

Maybe a tsunami trophy Tsunami TSTSS-702M Trophy Surf Spinning.  The medium is rated 1/2 - 2 and TD has it on sale for $40.  

That’s a fun kind of fishing, walking the beach in the morning before the crowds and catching fluke (at least here in NJ). I’m a fan. 

Star Stellar Lite. 7 1/2 foot rated to 1 1/2 oz. 

I love my 2 piece and I think it comes in 1 piece. 

My beach fluke bucktailing rod. 

$80 I think?

Penn squadron, 40 bucks and one of the top $100 and under rods I've ever had. I have a 7ft and a 7ft 6, caught everything from flounder to falsies and Kings on mine, flipped 8lb falsies with it. 

For me light bucktailing on a beach means 3/8- a max of 3/4, so I like a rod that has 1/2oz in its wheelhouse.   

Also, to be frank, at least ime lately,  most fluke on the surf are smaller and even the occasional doormat doesnt test ones drag or rod all that much.  

Several of the above rods would be heavy fluke rods imo from a beach.  Not a criticism of any of them, they may be perfect for you, but for LIGHT bucktailing I lean to a 6 1/2 or 7' med or medlight power fast action rod.

The st croix triumph (about $90?) 7' med fast rod serves very nicely in this regard.    On a 2500-3000 reel of your choice and 6-8lb fireline its a super fun lite fluke rig.  (maybe UL?)

The downside is that you really arent going to sling anything over 3/4... SP minnows are a lob and really pushing your luck. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

9 hours ago, Thumb-Burner said:

Two piece would actually be better.

What would that stellar lite cast on low end?

1/2 oz? 

For beach fluke i'm usually throwing a 1oz bank sinker and a teaser. This rod let's me reach the bar when the fish are eating on the slope.

Occasionally I'll need 1 1/2 oz and the star stellar will handle it. Also want to be able to throw 1oz plugs for summer bass.

Edited by Buckscorider

1 hour ago, 55555s said:

For me light bucktailing on a beach means 3/8- a max of 3/4, so I like a rod that has 1/2oz in its wheelhouse.   

Also, to be frank, at least ime lately,  most fluke on the surf are smaller and even the occasional doormat doesnt test ones drag or rod all that much.  

Several of the above rods would be heavy fluke rods imo from a beach.  Not a criticism of any of them, they may be perfect for you, but for LIGHT bucktailing I lean to a 6 1/2 or 7' med or medlight power fast action rod.

The st croix triumph (about $90?) 7' med fast rod serves very nicely in this regard.    On a 2500-3000 reel of your choice and 6-8lb fireline its a super fun lite fluke rig.  (maybe UL?)

The downside is that you really arent going to sling anything over 3/4... SP minnows are a lob and really pushing your luck. 

This helps. Where I'll be doing most of my fishing the flounder will definitely be on the smaller side.  Always potential for a big drum, but I'd prefer this rod not be overpowered..

49 mins ago, Buckscorider said:

1/2 oz? 

For beach fluke i'm usually throwing a 1oz bank sinker and a teaser. This rod let's me reach the bar when the fish are eating on the slope.

Occasionally I'll need 1 1/2 oz and the star stellar will handle it. Also want to be able to throw 1oz plugs for summer bass.

I guess I wasn't very specific in my post. If stripers were in the mix a degree with you but I'm fishing the North Carolina coast. No stripers here except once every 37 years on a Tuesday. this won't double as a plugging rod. If anything I'll use it for half ounce to 1 oz metal in addition to bucktails

Posted (edited) · Report post

10 hours ago, Buckscorider said:

Star Stellar Lite. 7 1/2 foot rated to 1 1/2 oz. 

I love my 2 piece and I think it comes in 1 piece. 

My beach fluke bucktailing rod. 

$80 I think?

I have the 8’ one piece (1/2-3;  but I wouldn’t throw 3 with it). Think it’s a hundred bucks. Great and versatile rod. Beach buck tail, kid soaking worms for soup and sea bass... jig for sea bass with it out of a boat etc. 

Edited by HugeDinghy

10 hours ago, HugeDinghy said:

I have the 8’ one piece (1/2-3;  but I wouldn’t throw 3 with it). Think it’s a hundred bucks. Great and versatile rod. Beach buck tail, kid soaking worms for soup and sea bass... jig for sea bass with it out of a boat etc. 

Santa brought my son the 7'6" of that rod for xmas, ole saint nick prbably read the many SOL  reviews regarding its overall excellent quality and versatility.  

Dad may get one soon too.  

Too bad you don’t like the split grips, mojo inshore is a nice rod for fluke. Matched with a 2500 reel 10lb braid and gulp. A total of Over 1200 fluke these last four years