BrianBM

Jeep Gladiator

60 posts in this topic

On 4/22/2019 at 11:19 PM, z-man said:

The rubicon Gladiator looks cool but it seems kind of gimmicky. I can honestly say that I have never once wished that the roof came off of my Tacoma. It seems goofy on a truck. 

I had one of these IH Scout Terra's back in the '70's and the small fiberglass roof came off. It was fun on the beach. 

51hF9zyyiOL.jpg

12 hours ago, Bulldog said:

Hey it is a jeep thing, I like the open air feeling, and at least there is the option to take the top off. I like them and have the wife about talked into trading our nine year old wrangler in on one. Stopped by a dealer in my area that had one parked out front, loaded Rubicon, with every option $61,000, catch was the sticker the dealer added...."Market Adjustment add $5,000, $66,000" are you kidding me, I near fell over! Price wise looking at comparing a new wrangler  to a Gladiator looks to be not much more, looking around everything is expensive anymore.....Jack

$66,000 for a midsize truck!  That’s insane. The Gladiator Rubicon’s main competition is the Tacoma TRD Pro which is around $42,000 and the Chevy ZR2 Bison which is supposed to be around $50,000. Of those three the Bison seems like the best truck. 

I suspect the second year of production will have better pricing.

I like the Landcrusier 79,the Gladiator may be as close as we can get in the US.

This guy took a lower equipped truck and added aftermarket accessories,it may be the way to go for some,it is still expensive.

22 hours ago, z-man said:

$66,000 for a midsize truck!  That’s insane. The Gladiator Rubicon’s main competition is the Tacoma TRD Pro which is around $42,000 and the Chevy ZR2 Bison which is supposed to be around $50,000. Of those three the Bison seems like the best truck. 

I have a 2 year old Tacoma and it is worth almost as much as I paid new. Crazy how well these retain their value. 

Put a new bumper on the 2017 Jeep Chief after the wifey dented the factory bumper. 

AFCC1468-E51F-4BA4-B939-103C772CCD7D.jpeg

The Gladiator I saw was a loaded Rubicon, 4.10 gearing , electric lockers front and rear , disconnecting sway bar and more, at $61,000. We have been in a Gladiator now and are considering it instead of a wrangler, the difference is $3,000. Loaded wrangler Sahara $43,000 or Gladiator  Overland  $46,000 list prices. Dealer will discount both. Most dealers are getting loaded Rubicons, but the dealer we are working  with will order either as we are too specfic in what. Such as tan lesther interior, tow package , locking rear, and so on. We stopped at the chevy dealer to check out a new Blazer $49,000 loaded ,but wow that is a lot and the roof doesn’t come  off...Ha!.....Jack

On 4/22/2019 at 6:56 PM, Wolfdog said:

You forgot to add rust.. That’s what I’m worried about. I won’t take my New grand on the beach after what it did to my xj. 

Can you elaborate a bit here?How quick did you start seeing rust? How long were you driving it on the beach before it got bad?  I’m JW cause I’ve taken some steps to try and minimize the body rust but I know some is unavoidable. 

On 1/31/2019 at 0:35 PM, BrianBM said:

Plus, he likes window shopping. 

Did you ever get that color tv you were thinking about?

1 min ago, charloots said:

Did you ever get that color tv you were thinking about?

TVs are out that show color?  Not just b/w anymore? Boy, I'll bet the tube (Trinitron?) must be huge.

Apropos of this, I was stretching out in a 2019 4runner yesterday. The salesman was quite specific that if I'm going offroad, I shouldn't be looking at a Sequoia. This was mildly surprising. The 2019 4runner is significantly bigger internally than my 2004, but not so big that (second seat down) I can stretch out full length in the back and doze. Close, but no cigar. He did say that the 2020 version, presumed to be due in November, will have "Safety Sense 2.0," with the forward-collision and rear crossing sensors that I want. No details about changes to the engine. 

Jeeps are really for people who love to fix the things that go wrong / don't quite fit / wear out prematurely. I don't qualify. 

I used to have a Rubicon, and while sure, it wasn't smooth on the open highway like a normal SUV/Pickup, I didn't have any problems with it. 

I have a truck now, but I definitely have been eyeing the Gladiator as a hybrid. Seems like a good kayak hauler into rougher areas. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

17 hours ago, Slacker said:

Jeeps and their steering issues could keep you reading for days.

Are you referring to Jeep “death wobble”?

Edited by ged

I saw a Gladiator at a Jeep Dealership in Mass on route 1 the other day. If i wasn't on my way to work I would have stopped to see it in person. 

On 5/17/2019 at 5:20 AM, ged said:

Are you referring to Jeep “death wobble”?

I have 104k on my JK and I don't think I can understand the whole "death wobble" thing. Sure I've hit some potholes which triggered the traction control but I've never felt completely out of control as some have reported.

3 hours ago, MitchellNJ said:

I have 104k on my JK and I don't think I can understand the whole "death wobble" thing. Sure I've hit some potholes which triggered the traction control but I've never felt completely out of control as some have reported.

I had a YJ and a few TJ’s that would donthr Jeep “death wobble”.

Like a harmonic imbalance at a certain speed, the Jeep shakes like it’s having a seizure.