BrianBM

Jeep Gladiator

60 posts in this topic

was the star of the Consumer Electronics Show. 

We have plenty of Jeep romantics who still weep for the lost I-6.  No doubt you guys are more current on this then I, or most; fill us in.

Posted (edited) · Report post

23 mins ago, MitchellNJ said:

The new Jeep Wrangler is a disaster. The Gladiator is a disaster with a bed.

Disaster? Rave reviews from all publications.  A few first year issues but generally loved on the Jeep forums.  Waiting lists already for the Gladiator. How exactly is the JL a disaster?  

Jeep Wrangler Will Outsell 25 Entire Brands All By Itself In 2018

DEC 29 BY JARED ROSENHOLTZ  SALES 

But how will the Gladiator affect sales?

Jeep sales have reached record highs in 2018, as the company prepares to break one million units total for the year. In an interview with AutoGuide, Tim Kuniskis, head of Jeep and Alfa Romeo, said he attributes Jeep's success to the strong brand recognition. “The only thing that really matters at the end of the day is the brand. The strength of the brand, the positioning of the brand and how you differentiate yourself in the market," Kuniskis said.

“[There are] 42 brands in the industry and you have 300-some-odd nameplates, if you don’t have a positioning that stands out and people understand, you got nothing. I don’t care what technology you put in it, you’re a commodity.”

Jeep's total sales have been particularly bolstered by high demand for the latest Wrangler. "We’re going to sell 250,000 in North America this year,” said Kuniskis. “It’s the best year the vehicle’s ever had. You know, if Wrangler was a brand all by itself it would beat 25 of the other brands out of the 42.”

Even with such strong demand, dealerships are starting to report having too many Wranglers on their lots. FCA has no plans to reduce production, so perhaps it will offer some juicy incentives to help sell even more units and clear out excess inventory.

All of Jeep's other vehicles are also selling well. In fact, “every single car is going to be up at retail year-over-year,” according to Kuniskis. Things may change slightly with the arrival of the Gladiator pickup truck, though Jeep doesn't seem concerned. From the offset, the Gladiator was designed to be so much more than just a Wrangler with a bed.

Edited by Cpalms

Posted (edited) · Report post

29 mins ago, Cpalms said:

Disaster? Rave reviews from all publications.  A few first year issues but generally loved on the Jeep forums.  Waiting lists already for the Gladiator. How exactly is the JL a disaster?

The redesign looks like ****. Like they gave some beaner free reign after binge watching a Fast and Furious marathon...

Slanted grill

Headlights that "bump" into the grill

Daytime running lights on the fenders

Side vents?!?!? WTF?

Sloped windshield

Hardtop spoiler...ugh

Hardtop rain channel extends all the way to the back

Regular Softtop fitting is off

Auto Softtop is hideous when closed. Are you really that lazy?

Body colored rear hinges look like an afterthought

"X" Taillights

Start/Stop button :banghd:

Backup camera :rolleyes:

There's more but it doesn't matter. They will sell a ****ton of them.

Edited by MitchellNJ

6 mins ago, MitchellNJ said:

The redesign looks like ****. Like they gave some beaner free reign after binge watching a Fast and Furious marathon...

Slanted grill

Headlights that "bump" into the grill

Daytime running lights on the fenders

Side vents?!?!? WTF?

Sloped windshield

Hardtop spoiler...ugh

Hardtop rain channel extends all the way to the back

Regular Softtop fitting is off

Auto Softtop is hideous when closed. Are you really that lazy?

Body colored rear hinges look like an afterthought

"X" Taillights

Start/Stop button :banghd:

Backup camera :rolleyes:

There's more but it doesn't matter. They will sell a ****ton of them.

Whaaaat LOL?  that is the dopiest list of minor gripes I have ever seen.  

Hinges? side vents? LOL! It's not a beauty queen, it's a Jeep....and yes Americans are that lazy!  

The only real gripe is that FCA should have offered the JL with a Hemi.   Not even you could not have quibbled with the bone stock off road performance - which is really kind of a big deal for an off road vehicle. Not the slight adjustment in the angle of the windshield which is barely noticeable but markedly improves MPG.

BTW, back up cameras are required by law.

8 hours ago, MitchellNJ said:

The new Jeep Wrangler is a disaster. The Gladiator is a disaster with a bed.

The gladiator is built on the re-tooled  JK assembly line. People have wanted this truck for a while. I prefer the JK over the JL (that is why I bought a late model 2017). 

I dont like the JL, but I see them everywhere so evidently people like them. 

Where have you been? Headlights that bump into the grill is back to the first  civilian jeep the CJ2A, I had one in 1976 as my driver and beach buggy, sold it to my brother after 15 years who sold it to our friend after 10 years who still has it and drives it. Gearing at 5.38 to one could just idle along! I have had a lot of jeeps over the years and currently have a 2010 JK which has been a great vehicle for us, if you want to be upset about the new Wrangler you should be upset it can come with heated leather seats which my wife has already said is a must have along with locking rear! I think it is awesome Jeep looks to their roots for insperation, the grill finally fixes years of design screwups. Lower grill height, sloped windshield all things that improve it, still one of the only vehicles with flat glass windshield. I like the new jeeps and might end up with a four door and pickup if things go well!.....Jack

57 mins ago, Bulldog said:

Where have you been? Headlights that bump into the grill is back to the first  civilian jeep the CJ2A, I had one in 1976 as my driver and beach buggy, sold it to my brother after 15 years who sold it to our friend after 10 years who still has it and drives it. Gearing at 5.38 to one could just idle along! I have had a lot of jeeps over the years and currently have a 2010 JK which has been a great vehicle for us, if you want to be upset about the new Wrangler you should be upset it can come with heated leather seats which my wife has already said is a must have along with locking rear! I think it is awesome Jeep looks to their roots for insperation, the grill finally fixes years of design screwups. Lower grill height, sloped windshield all things that improve it, still one of the only vehicles with flat glass windshield. I like the new jeeps and might end up with a four door and pickup if things go well!.....Jack

I love the heated leather in my Chief.  My 2008 4 door Jeep was a dog, my 2006 TJ 4.0 I owned at the same time would blow the doors off the first generation JK.  I have always been a "Jeep guy" and  I may find room in the garage for the new the Gladiator.

59 mins ago, Bulldog said:

Lol, Brian, GED and I will both have one with 50,000 miles on them before you bite.....Jack

Very likely.  I rely on enthusiasts to get new products debugged as much as I can.

On January 14, 2019 at 8:45 PM, BrianBM said:

was the star of the Consumer Electronics Show. 

We have plenty of Jeep romantics who still weep for the lost I-6.  No doubt you guys are more current on this then I, or most; fill us in.

That pentastar is a huge PoS!! Thats all you need to know.