Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mikemontauk

Spring Trip with Wife

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Gents:

I'm thinking of doing a long weekend with my wife this Spring. I'd like to take her to a lodge/outfitter within a 5 hour drive of NYC (PA/VA?).

The goal of the trip would be:

1. Casting instruction for her.

2. Guided Trout fishing. Drift or wade.

3. A place where we can eat and drink well.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Mike

State College/Bellefonte PA and surrounding areas have some great trout fishing.  I know TCO Fly Shop offers guided trips and lessons.  I'm sure there are other guides as well.  Lots of great restaurants, breweries, etc.  I'm not sure about a lodge to stay at...Plenty of hotels and bed and breakfasts though. 

Allenberry Resort in Boiling Springs, Pa I believe offers guided fly fishing, a great local guide is Tom Balz, there is also TCO shop in Boiling Springs, the Resort is right on the Yellow Breeches and you can walk to the creek.

Look up UpCountry Sportfishing in CT (Farmington River).  Great people who are excellent guides and instructors.  You'll have the opportunity to fish both the Farmington and Housatonic (wade and or drift) which are both excellent trout waters.  All the restaurants and bars you could want within a 30 minute drive. Can visit micro breweries or a winery. Good spot for antiquing, too, or driving the New England countryside.  You can make a stop at the Deerfield on your way through and try that river out, too.  Easy drive, beautiful scenery, great fishing, and lots of things to do.

Skytop Inn in the Poconos. Its on 5500 acres. In my early 20s I walked the trails and noted nice 2 lb trout in the streams. Swam below a waterfall and came out squeaky clean. Really a paradise. Then the guards came and threw us out. Probably pricey but what a place! Think they offer guided fishing tours and they have miles of trout streams and a pond or two for bass, pickerel, bluegills. Not sure if they teach fly fishing but worth a look. 

13 hours ago, smath said:

The Beaverkill Valley Inn in Livingston Manor, NY, home of the Joan Wulff school of fly fishing.

2'x   it's just a few hours from NYC its very nice . You won't have to use your car again until you go home  History of Fly Fishing can't be beat 

* Delaware River Club is another place that's good for the everything angler & wifey 

* West Branch Angler Orvis endorsed has it all 

Just a note : a lot of these high end places accommodate wedding parties , so booking early is a must .  

if you're heading to any of the winter FF shows they are all there in one shot and a good deal can be arraigned that day .  

2 hours ago, Pauleye said:

Look up UpCountry Sportfishing in CT (Farmington River).  Great people who are excellent guides and instructors.  

And you could stay at Legends on the Farmington, which is a top-notch lodge.

Steve Culton

My wife really enjoyed staying with me at the West Branch Angler in NY in the Catskills.  Great cabins.  The food was mediocre but there are restaurants near by.

Is this trip only fresh water?

We also used to go out to Greenport every year.  Lots of good DIY bass places.  Hire a guide for day and sighfish the flats.  I bet one of the guides could setup a casting lesson.

Great stuff guys. I'll start looking. We're looking at mid to late April. We live in Montauk, so exploring/experiencing freshwater would be the goal (and leaving the kids with Grandma). Getting my wife some good instruction in a nice setting would go a long way.

Cheers,

Mike

Edited by mikemontauk

if you're interested in the Joan Wulff School, with the Beaverkill Valley Inn accommodations I suggest you sign up early as they sell out every year.

They will have a booth at the Edison, NJ show,

I stayed at the West Branch Angler last spring. The cabins are nice, right on the river. The fly shop is nice too, kind of heavy on the PFG. The restaurant/bar was fun, the food, as mentioned, not stellar. (Pizza Logs?) Stick to the burgers. The only negative really is the trucks on rt 17 right across the river. Kind of diminishes the wilderness experience. I'm looking for a similar situation but a little quieter. WBA would allow us to bring the dog, a big plus for my wife who doesn't fish. Oh, they have a pond full of bass and trout eager to take a fly if the wild browns are too picky.

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 8:06 PM, smath said:

The Beaverkill Valley Inn in Livingston Manor, NY, home of the Joan Wulff school of fly fishing.

I did this exact trip with an old girlfriend - let's just say the memories of a great trip lasted longer than the girlfriend.  And that old girlfriend is still flyfishing

Joan Wulff is truly an amazing person and fly caster - women particular revere her.  If you would like your wife to learn how and enjoy fly-fishing, get her in front of Joan Wulff. May be the best money you ever spent.