Driver seat adjustments on P/U trucks

BrianBM

A question for those of you who are large-ish males, and have petit-ish wives, who also have to be able to drive your P/U truck. 

What current P/U has the greatest room for adjustment in the front seat? Somewhere out there is a large SUV or truck, damned if I can remember which one, which can remember driver settings (pedal extension, steering wheel tilt & extension, seat height and position, etc.) for driver #1, #2, etc.  Anyone remember what I'm talking about?

My wife is 5'4" to my 6'.  She gets lost inside my 4runner, albeit she has enough time tweaking the seat to not be cranky on those occasions when she has to drive it.  She is practicing her Unhappy Sulk Face every time she mindreads me thinking about a pickup truck. Anything I ultimately buy will be wrong (that's OK, as a husband, being wrong is my job) but the wailing will best diminish, over time, with a driver's seat that can be nicely tailored to her size. 

Edmund's wishes that the current F-150 had a bit more adjustment in the steering wheel. That's as close to a criticism as they ever come, the site's just as bad as a hi-fi magazine, no bad word about any advertiser. Ford's own site provides no information whatsoever, just Big Tough Military Grade adblabber. Useless ... so, your $0.02 might as well go into play.

Brian. Don't make the mistake I made years ago. I bought a 2004 Tacoma 4 x 4 .It had a tilt wheel. Took it home , wife gets in , adjusts the seat perfectly for 5'1" fram and then BLAM! tilt whl wouldn't go down far enough for her to see over the dash .She hardly ever drove it. Take her to look and sit and adjust seat and tilt to see how she likes it. Do it with every truck you look at. Seats could adjust right and not the tilt or vise- versa. All the manufacturers have packages that include seats, and gas and brake pedal adjustments.Tight lines.

Edited by hunter123
Capt, Frank Mundus. The man, the myth, the legand.

23 mins ago, hunter123 said:

.... All the manufacturers have packages that include seats, and gas and brake pedal adjustments........

We have the reverse problem as I have very short legs (25" inseam ) while wifey pooh is normal for a 5' 2" female lady girl wimmins.We bought a used Expedition after our Tahoe was totaled and being newer it had more gadgets and doodads including the adjustable pedal option. For the first time in 50 years of driving I can reach the pedals like regular peoples. I'll never have another vehicle without adjustable pedals. Do you how cramped your foot can get sitting in stop and go traffic in a manual Mustang which don't have adjustable pedals with a hi pf clutch when you have to hold in with your tip toes?

On my truck, the driver seat has vertical (up/down) adjustments, my passenger seat does not.  I have seen companies that make seat "lift brackets" - Granted they probably are not DOT/NHTSA approved but they will give you anywhere from 1-2" of seat height. I certainly wouldn't chance the Admirals life (or any of my passengers) with such a modification.

What are you all talking about?  vertical up / down. My 2002 V10 F350 has a bar under the seat to adjust forward or backward, my windows crank up and down. It has AC and cruise, and for ambient temp readings I open the window and put my hand out. My wife 5'2" is too small to drive this safely unless I tape blocks on the pedals and put an old fashioned telephone directory on the seat..

FT

Edited by Fishin Technician

My 5’1” daughter learned how to drive in my Expedition EL and had no problems adjusting for comfort and safety. When she got her license I gave her my fathers Escalade that was the same as a Suburban. She drove that until we got her something smaller to take to college.

My 4 Runner (Limited) had memory 1 & 2, wife was scared  of it and Never drove it so never used the setting's, Thanks for Heads up ,Yesterday Told wife time for you to move up to Later  Camry model, (She had a 95  Camry we bought in 2000, Garage Queen with 77K mile she was   2nd  owner, sold to our mech for his Granddaughter College Car 2k

Found Clean low mile 2014 Camry out door, tax ,tags, registration for 13,100 (Cash) one owner ,GD thing IS Peppy, never thought to look,,i will rarely drive it so no biggie