bob_G

Ultra lite spinning reel

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

I need to replace my 50 year old ultra lite spinning reel. It's served me well, but it's just worn out.

Any suggestions? The reel will be filled with 4lb mono and used on a 5' rod. 

We have been using Shakespeare 35s on 5 & 6 foot Ugly Sticks.  They hold up very well to the abuse the grand kids dish out and have also landed some decent fish.  We are using 6 lb. test instead of 4 however but I don't think it matters that much because the girls do pretty good on pan fish, bass and trout/………….

ballistic 2500 xh. the one with faster inch per turn. would by my pick. but, its over 200 bones. so I would recommend buying a nasci. ive heard good things.

7 mins ago, jeffapeikin said:

ballistic 2500 xh. the one with faster inch per turn. would by my pick. but, its over 200 bones. so I would recommend buying a nasci. ive heard good things.

This is funny. The reel I'm replacing is a Compac. My dad bought it for me off Paul Kukonen when I was 15 years old. I think he paid under $10 for it. 

Bob, I recently got a Stradic 2500FA Ci4. (Also make a 1000 but it was a bit too light and small for my native brook trout rod.)It’s a dream. For someone who’s spent most of my time with a Mitchell 304 it’s quite a change and weighs a fraction. 

Couple reels you might be able to find a deal on penn conflict or pt smoke. Got both these reels under $50 from last year models. Both super comfortable in the hand and just nice overall reels for really cheap money.  

1 hour ago, bob_G said:

This is funny. The reel I'm replacing is a Compac. My dad bought it for me off Paul Kukonen when I was 15 years old. I think he paid under $10 for it. 

Yeah I recall using a shimano as a teen. It must have been like a 1000 size. True ultralite fishing. I think back then it prob cost 30-100.00 bones. Early 1990’s. Seems like the latest and greatest reels have a price tag of 100.00-200.00. 

The smallest size Pfueger Trion is a nice reel for not a lot of money ($40). I’ve had a couple of them for a few years without any issues. 

2 hours ago, bob_G said:

Well, he certainly got his money's worth out of that reel.

21 hours ago, heyblue34 said:

Shimano Nasci

This one...I just got one recently and it's one of the best in its class.

I recommend the 500 size, you don't need a big capacity reel, especially if you decide that you like braid better--try some 5# power pro on it, improves casting distance and feel.  For trout and crappies, speed is usually the opposite of catching, and with a lower gear ratio and smaller spool, it is easier to work stuff slowly.  Plus the smaller lighter size increases sensitivity.

Beware of some of the lower end reels, I've bought some UL reels that had cardboard drags!  they really cheap out in construction of small reels and I have bought a bunch that were just junk.

With 4# line, anything over a 1000 size is definitely overkill.