Rate this topic

486 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

6 hours ago, Mark L said:

Hi Tim could you tell me what in God’s name is that “fish” in the top pic. Thanks

It's a conger eel, we've always called them silver eels - they are the American eel's much bigger, much meaner and better armed cousin...and they are silver :)  

Here's a more zoomed in picture of that guy - he was a fair sized silver eel, they get pretty big - they like to hang around wrecks...and my experience is they tend to bite better in the late afternoon/early evening.

silver-eel-close.jpg

And they are home bodies...there's a wreck I'd stop at on my way to/from the inlet...I caught a noteworthy silver eel on it just before dark...wished him well and let him go. A couple weeks later found myself on that wreck again...and landed the same big dude again. It also seems like they aren't very social, I've never caught two on the same wreck...makes me think they claim a wreck or big section of a wreck and defend it. 

Edited by TimS
added actual name rather than just the colloquial name

6 hours ago, Mark L said:

Hi Tim could you tell me what in God’s name is that “fish” in the top pic. Thanks

I caught one of them things off a jetty one night ,freaked me out.

11 mins ago, TimS said:

It's a conger eel, we've always called them silver eels - they are the American eel's much bigger, much meaner and better armed cousin...and they are silver :)  

Here's a more zoomed in picture of that guy - he was a fair sized silver eel, they get pretty big - they like to hang around wrecks...and my experience is they tend to bite better in the late afternoon/early evening.

silver-eel-close.jpg

And they are home bodies...there's a wreck I'd stop at on my way to/from the inlet...I caught a noteworthy silver eel on it just before dark...wished him well and let him go. A couple weeks later found myself on that wreck again...and landed the same big dude again. It also seems like they aren't very social, I've never caught two on the same wreck...makes me think they claim a wreck or big section of a wreck and defend it. 

Thanks for that info, if I caught that thing it would have never made it into the boat. Cut and release

12 mins ago, AlwaysWading said:

I caught one of them things off a jetty one night ,freaked me out.

Same here - first one I ever saw, back in the late 80s, middle of the night on a rigged eel on the front of a now no longer existing jetty in Deal - it felt a little weird during the fight, but not completely unlike a bass. As I got down to my landing rock between waves I went to grab it and almost fell backwards :eek:  I had NO IDEA we had anything like that in NJ...until that night :laugh:

TimS

2 mins ago, Sudsy said:

Tim Weakfish.jpg

Holy crap...where are you finding these? :clap:  

7 mins ago, Mark L said:

Thanks for that info, if I caught that thing it would have never made it into the boat. Cut and release

About the only thing I won't attempt to wrangle into submission are sharks :o  Congers are much nicer to handle than American eels - they aren't nearly as slimy  :th:

8 mins ago, TimS said:

Holy crap...where are you finding these? :clap:  

I have a hard drive full of entertaining goodies