Slowwwride

White Perch.... what am I doing wrong

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

Threw three high/lo rigs with raw shrimp pieces in a river near wherever in NJ. Not a sniff. Little hooks too. IDK

Need fish

Posted (edited) · Report post

I catch a lot of white perch on Rat-L-Traps in the Silver/Blue Back color in Connecticut. Not sure how it would work this time of year but during the spring it's straight cash lol

Edited by DutchGFX

With the water temps they aint gonna come easy. Up here in mass we dont really get many til late march or early apr at the earliest.

with all the water we;ve had all year, river fishing has been tough, at least for us.

My advice for the WP would be different tide if tidal and different depth (temp).

Next water velocity.  faster or slower.  Otherwise, good luck.

Going to try again tomorrow for a few hours and if no go then hit some freshwater for  different speices. I plan on fishing a brackish area of a river. I have never caught the WP on purpose before. I know it's winter and it's a tough bite but should I ditch the shrimp pieces and go with worms? I could have two poles out and fish with  a spinner or small rapala on the side.  My thoughts are with a low moving in for tomorrow's ahem....umm.. epic storm.... maybe they'll turn on?

On 1/12/2019 at 10:04 PM, Justfishin said:

Live Killies(Chubs) a couple of feet under a bobber is unbeatable for White Perch. Grass shrimp as well. 

How do you rig them grass shrimp? I have been using fresh never frozen raw shrimp as a sub. Normal shrimp, not crazy tiger shrimp. Just little shrimps

4 mins ago, Slowwwride said:

How do you rig them grass shrimp? I have been using fresh never frozen raw shrimp as a sub. Normal shrimp, not crazy tiger shrimp. Just little shrimps

I'm sorry let me specify, like do you chop them up or hook them in a certain way? Not sure where to get them. My local B&T is closed for the season

31 mins ago, Slowwwride said:

I'm sorry let me specify, like do you chop them up or hook them in a certain way? Not sure where to get them. My local B&T is closed for the season

Fish them whole and live, hooked once through the tail.One or two on a hook ( #6 or 8).

16 mins ago, Justfishin said:

Fish them whole and live, hooked once through the tail.One or two on a hook ( #6 or 8).

Cool thank you. Have to find live shrimp somewhere

They are still catching on the Jersey side of the DB in the marsh creeks north of the Fort.  Couple small marinas buried back in there:th:

8 mins ago, Harf said:

They are still catching on the Jersey side of the DB in the marsh creeks north of the Fort.  Couple small marinas buried back in there:th:

getting warmer.... getting ready to head out now. Have the leftover thawed out shrimp and all my freshwater plugs and spinners. Let's see how long I last before I say screw it!