t0phtrt

SS Needle weighting

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

Looking at a midnight massacre 1 3/4 oz. The lead is shifted back to the rear some but these sink perfectly level. Is there some weight up front that I can’t see or am I missing something else?

thanks

13 hours ago, t0phtrt said:

it must just be a great design. I’ve weighted some of my needles exactly like SS and they sink tail down. 

Wood and plastic , two different animals ..  there was a dude here numbskull ( George ) I believe that had x rays of quiet a few plugs ... he posted it on here while back .. don’t remember if there a ss needle in there but possible .. alil search would find it most likely 

On 1/13/2019 at 5:47 PM, t0phtrt said:

it must just be a great design. I’ve weighted some of my needles exactly like SS and they sink tail down. 

Trying to weight them exactly like a Musso is going to be a little tough with the way the weights are in the plastic plug. I use three weights drilled into the belly roughly along the span of the weight in plastic. I think it’s important to shed enough buoyancy in the front of the plug to maintain a level plug. Also if the weights are on the heavy side the plugs will wiggle more and be more inclined to ride and sink tail down.

13 mins ago, rollincoal said:

Trying to weight them exactly like a Musso is going to be a little tough with the way the weights are in the plastic plug. I use three weights drilled into the belly roughly along the span of the weight in plastic. I think it’s important to shed enough buoyancy in the front of the plug to maintain a level plug. Also if the weights are on the heavy side the plugs will wiggle more and be more inclined to ride and sink tail down.

yup that’s what i meant, i do the same, usually 4-5 small .14 oz weights to make a slow sinker. and then always wind up having to shift some of the weight forward to level out. yours sink level with the weight in the same position?

Pretty level, maybe very slightly tail down, more so during a retrieve, but not increasingly shifting tail down the more it sinks. It will tightly roll/wiggle as it sinks though 

On 1/14/2019 at 8:37 PM, rollincoal said:

The Musso Needlefish was originally wood so why try to copy a copy of the original when you can copy the original?

Edited by SC

6 mins ago, SC said:

The Musso Needlefish was originally wood so why try to copy a copy of the original when you can copy the original?

I don’t really copy plugs, but I like “borrowing” and playing with ideas. Weighting a wooden needle like the plastic SS and building on that has proven quite fruitful. 

It has opened my thinking to experiment and observe the effects of weights that arent on the throughwire/ centerline or aren’t as low as possible in the plug but somewhere between.

4 hours ago, rollincoal said:

It has opened my thinking to experiment and observe the effects of weights that arent on the throughwire/ centerline or aren’t as low as possible in the plug but somewhere between.

Now I understand your intentions, you are looking to suspend the weight between centerline and bottom edge of plug. 

17 hours ago, SC said:

Now I understand your intentions, you are looking to suspend the weight between centerline and bottom edge of plug. 

originally i just wanted to cast far and be level. I remember from making arrows an optimal balance of something like 60/40 and thought the weighting of the superstrikes seemed to be close to placing weight around that general area.

If this helps here’s a wooden SS. You can see weighting marked with a white lines. 

5DCE80EA-919C-4C41-9F16-3587CAC268DA.jpeg

Edited by Steel Pulse