ThrowinPlugs

Need recommendations for 8 foot Conv. Eel Rod

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Title basically sums it up. Got new Chaos level wind for my birthday from the missus, and I wanna use it for live eels. 8 foot would suffice, as itll be mostly near bridges/inlets. Dont wanna break the bank. Thoughts?

Hi, I use an older St Croix Graf- lite  10' m/h 1/2 to 3 oz. It works for me Rod really casts like a med rod. Since I started using her I have gotten less break off while casting the Eel. But I think the rod having fiberglass in the build makes it better for Eels than the 9' m I used . It works great at IRI, and the surf.I'm sure someone will come with an idea close to what you want. Tight lines.

33 mins ago, ThrowinPlugs said:

Title basically sums it up. Got new Chaos level wind for my birthday from the missus, and I wanna use it for live eels. 8 foot would suffice, as itll be mostly near bridges/inlets. Dont wanna break the bank. Thoughts?

Berkley Buzz Ramsey casting salmon rod.

BPS may still sell them also BPS has LOTS of 8 foot rods maybe you'll find something you'd like there,sales too.

HH

Just now, ThrowinPlugs said:

Think these will have enough backbone for stripers in current though? I'm not familiar with salmon/steelhead rods...

Not a chance

16 mins ago, ThrowinPlugs said:

Think these will have enough backbone for stripers in current though? I'm not familiar with salmon/steelhead rods...

personally no,,I was wondering though,why you wanted to use such a small reel for that kind of fishing.

I was just matching the rod to the reels size.

personally I would use a 60 size for that kind of fishing and that's at minimum.

if you go with a surf rod like a prevail it will be 10 feet and waay big for that reel.

HH

Edited by Roddy

27 mins ago, ThrowinPlugs said:

Maybe I haven't thought this through. I didnt think you'd need such a big reel. Ill stick with my spinning set ups I guess. 

I have/use rigs like what you are wanting to use but,they are for late fall when the fish are finicky and lighter lures get strikes more often.

my fave one is a shimano claurus casting salmon rod 8-1/2 feet rated I think it's 1/2-2 oz and the reel is a shimano Cardiff 300-a with 14lb mono.

lighter rubber/bombers and such are what I do with it and I'd never even fathom doing eels in current with it.

I would try it with one of my shimano scimitar rods @ 8-1/2 feet rated 3/4-3 oz and the chaos-60 series.

imagine trying to winch up a  25lb'er in such a current,,,,**** man!

if I  were you'd fish the reel you have like mentioned,,,,as a late fall/early spring rig for shoolies in the backwaters .

HH

1 min ago, Roddy said:

I have/use rigs like what you are wanting to use but,they are for late fall when the fish are finicky and lighter lures get strikes more often.

my fave one is a shimano claurus casting salmon rod 8-1/2 feet rated I think it's 1/2-2 oz and the reel is a shimano Cardiff 300-a with 14lb mono.

lighter rubber/bombers and such are what I do with it and I'd never even fathom doing eels in current with it.

I would try it with one of my shimano scimitar rods @ 8-1/2 feet rated 3/4-3 oz and the chaos-60 series.

imagine trying to winch up a  25lb'er in such a current,,,,**** man!

if I  were you'd fish the reel you have like mentioned,,,,as a late fall/early spring rig for shoolies in the backwaters .

HH

Seems like what I'm gonna do. Thanks HH.

4 mins ago, ThrowinPlugs said:

Seems like what I'm gonna do. Thanks HH.

have a look at the one I mentioned at cabelas,,might find it a nice rig for what we just talked about.

HH

1 hour ago, ThrowinPlugs said:

Look up the 8ft St. Croix XH Mojo Cat if you need a bit more back bone. The blank is a light weight composite, it will be able to handle abuse of fishing off of bridges and handling big fish in heavy current.

Edited by Beastly Backlash

No rod to recommend, but a suggestion: glass is fine, and a composite rod is fine too, and both are waaay more durable then a cutting-edge graphite blank. Eels need a soft cast, and jetty rods inevitably get dropped and banged and whatnot. 

30 mins ago, BrianBM said:

No rod to recommend, but a suggestion: glass is fine, and a composite rod is fine too, and both are waaay more durable then a cutting-edge graphite blank. Eels need a soft cast, and jetty rods inevitably get dropped and banged and whatnot. 

Solid advice. Although heavier, I do feel like fiberglass rods would work better with eels. Might just grab an ugly stik, cant kill those things haha.