Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JTF

Lower Big Bend

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Haven't been down lately, see that some of the primitive launches have been improved north of Cedar Key since we last fished it.  The river mouths this time of year can be full of big reds.

This winter, considering a trip to Steinhatchee, can drive that in two easy days.  Looks like only a couple places to walk/wade, but marinas have small craft rentals. Any suggestions about walk-in spots? May be April before we get to Hobe Sound. And after a weary fall, need some off-time, a road trip to soothe my soul and mind...like the old days. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Get in Touch with  SEA HAG marina in 3 Steinhatchee   352 498 3008,  lower Big Bend is Crystal River and Homosassa, Crystal River several boat rentals/yak rentals   For info Ed;s Tackle  Hwy 19)in Homosassa  Blue Water Bait and tackle on hwy 19, also Boat and Yak rentals in Homosaaa,Ed & Blue water just info no rental   (No Paper work license required to rent boat) Take Prop insurance $10.00

Fun Spots Crystal River   Crackers//Crab Plant, Homosassa   The Freezer, McRae's shed, (At Ramp) Old Mill, in Ozello   Back Water Fins// Pecks

Like Hog Fish inn  ""If your here tonight a local told you"", need a Guide Homosassa  Crystal River send me PM

Sorry cant help you much with Cedar Key .  Al

Oh yes No shirt with Collar or Black T shirt ,only H/D riders wear Black T shirt in Hot FL sun as their Brain has already been Fried.

Edited by Al Sears

Posted (edited) · Report post

Thanks Al! Lots of good stuff here. Will most likely stay north of Crystal River, maybe as far south as Yankeetown. Who knows, may venture further afield. 

Have a 1648 with jet outboard. I hauled the last 1648 prop down last time and had great drum fishing. It's so far to haul at my age, probably better to spend a few bucks and rent a small craft there. And I don't mind paying a good guide. Will be spin tackle this round. 

Edited by JTF

Yankeetown about 8-10 mile N of Crystal River, Yankee Town Marina on the Withlacoochee River, not sure if Capt ED has rental Boat or not, McRaes, River Safaris in Homosassa have  John Boats and Pontoon boats to rent, Petes Pier in Crystal River May have rental,

Inglis Motel Withlacoochee looks decent, Café Next Door and Mama Sally's across street, Shore Fishing on Both side of Barge Canal about mile south from Inglis, Trout/Red/silver trout,never know what may come in canal, couple miles long .

Crystal River"" Days Inn" , has Ramp, and small Bait/tackle out the Back Door and a Decent Dennys adjoining, Hwy 19 in Homosassa nightmare due to construction suggest you avoid place unless you really wat go to Old Homosassa, Oh hell forgot in Inglis Good Tackle shop about 1/2 mile west of hwy 19 &40 also another shop just west of this shop ,I like the one further Up road, Old, dusty, some used and new tackle, Bait Live/ Frozen

IF you get out to Ozello, stop in at Back Water Fins  ask for Dave (owner) tell him that his Buddie from the Horseshoe said Hello he will know it is me  (Horse shoe was just that on Vam Co Dong River),didnt make any difference what day what time some one was going to shoot at you.   Real Good Food & Pecks on down road for Crabs (they grow their own for most part

Enjoy your Trip I a sure you will enjoy and be back as that area is the real Nature Coast, small town ,laid back and reasonable prices, Guide in Crystal River Capt Dave  (the Lureman) only fishes Top water with his own lures he makes    Al

Of Note, if bringing wife/GF or such there is  NO Mall ,well a Half empty one,shopping in Ocala