bonefishdick

First Flies of the Season

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

I finally got around to tying my first flies of the season using the the materials a friend of mine sent me from Florida as a surprise. The task at hand was to tie up some Kwan Flies to use off the beach this year for Snook and other fish that can be had such as Trout, Pompano, Jacks and Spanish Macs to name a few.

P1100858sol.JPG.8705573209300af2ab84de09aec13116.JPG

I only made three different color patterns so far.  I suspect I will be adding a few other color patterns as well, these were tied on Mustad 3407's in size 2 with medium bead chain eyes.

P1100868sol.JPG.725e76de516c409fefb6fa49ba5ee6c9.JPG

P1100876sol.JPG.98157fb2728981bed520315d813da0a5.JPG

Posted (edited) · Report post

What’s with the bands?   What’s the copy?   Shrimp.   I never seen any like that in Florida?   How do they work ?  

Edited by ccb

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, ccb said:

What’s with the bands?   What’s the copy?   Shrimp.   I never seen any like that in Florida?   How do they work ?  

I think they are more of a Shrimp imitation than anything which is what the bands are supposed to represent, but that is just a guess on my part. As far as how they work, I will get back to you.

I will say this about Florida, when the fish are on the feed it seems they will eat almost anything that moves. I am sure you will see a few pictures of some willing participants.

1 hour ago, titleguy said:

cool- how about a step by step and recipe? 

I found my step by step on YouTube, to much work to type it out. My recipe was using the materials in the picture, all Congo Hair. 

I felt very very obligated to use it since it was sent by my friend.

I personally feel to make a Kwan fly that other materials would make a better fly that would be easier to use.

I think Long Craft Fur for the tail and Yarn for the body would be easier to use, especially when trimming the body.

Edited by bonefishdick

4 hours ago, bonefishdick said:

I think they are more of a Shrimp imitation than anything which is what the bands are supposed to represent, but that is just a guess on my part. As far as how they work, I will get back to you.

I will say this about Florida, when the fish are on the feed it seems they will eat almost anything that moves. I am sure you will see a few pictures of some willing participants.

I found my step by step on YouTube, to much work to type it out. My recipe was using the materials in the picture, all Congo Hair. 

I felt very very obligated to use it since it was sent by my friend.

I personally feel to make a Kwan fly that other materials would make a better fly that would be easier to use.

I think Long Craft Fur for the tail and Yarn for the body would be easier to use, especially when trimming the body.

Thanks, I'll look it up.   

I’m going to the Keys in Feb for my honeymoon. Already booked two trips for the week. What’s it gonna cost to get a few of those babies in the box? 

Those are some very 'fishy' lookin' flies, right there!!! You better cast out and hold on tight, cuz something gonna jump on those!!