jjdbike

Conventional rod length: PB casting & jigging

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I like the secret of conventioanl casting thread, but realized my question was more about rod length.

 

I too find myself struggeling to get a really good cast.

Admittedly, while I am generally tossing jigs for ground fish (haddock, pollack, cod, fluke, seabass), they are clipped on the end of a rig w/ a teaser above so reeling to tip isn't a possiblility.

Yes I prefer the bow if the weather is decent (can get a little challanging up there if the weather is nasty), but that's not always available.

 

I also prefer the lighted gear, (light / thin braid, ligher rod & lightest jig) I can comfortably get away w/, though I'm not extreem like some here. Kilsong amazes me w/ how light he goes.  I don't have the skill, experience or ability to replace expensive tackle if it broke. I'd also pretty heartbroken if I lost a fish of a lifetime due to being undergunned. 

 

I need to say I'm generally on a medium to large partyboat.

 

Those folks that can really launch it always impress and confound me, especially the ones that make it look so effortless.

 

Here's what I'm been wondering about. I always preferred an 8' rod. Some of my friends prefer a shorter 7', they say they're lighter, cause less fatique and more senstive. They're certianly more portable. I liked to 8' for better line control, keeping line futher away from hull and others and for bigger swings. I'm starting to question my logic and wonder how valid my concerns really are. My question, w/ new light / thin braids, super smooth and strong reels, how valid are the conventional thoughts that 8' is better than say a 7', 7'3' or 7'6' rod? Does the extra 6, 9 or 12" really allow a noticably longer cast?

 

Your thoughts and experiences are apprecatied!

 

Thanks in advance.

JD

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 foot has always been considered the ideal for party boats, but I don’t like rods that long.  I do just fine with my little over 7 foot rods. Your mileage may vary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 mins ago, MakoMike said:

8 foot has always been considered the ideal for party boats, but I don’t like rods that long.  I do just fine with my little over 7 foot rods. Your mileage may vary.

Thanks Mike.

Yes I know 8' is the standard. I always tried to stick w/ the tried & true. Now, w/ changes in gear: thinner line w/ NO stretch, strong smooth & light reels.

Also much fewer larger sized groundfish around.

I wonder if 7' - 7'6' aren't just as good, while being lighter easier and less tiring to use and more portable to travel with.

Wonder how much, if any casting distance one losses?

JD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 mins ago, jjdbike said:

Thanks Mike.

Yes I know 8' is the standard. I always tried to stick w/ the tried & true. Now, w/ changes in gear: thinner line w/ NO stretch, strong smooth & light reels.

Also much fewer larger sized groundfish around.

I wonder if 7' - 7'6' aren't just as good, while being lighter easier and less tiring to use and more portable to travel with.

Wonder how much, if any casting distance one losses?

JD

casting reel has only advantige to crank the fish in,it is easy to crank.i use them only for troling or jiging.i prefer spining rod 7' with 30 # power pro,i cast with saint croix 7' light fast tip,spining rod 1 oz lures,if you need havier lures you need medium action rod,i can cast that rod all day ,nice and easy and i use 10' rod and it cast 10' longer cast then 7' rod,the 10' rod i have to cast 2 hand,the 7' i can cast with my wrist,the 10' longer cast is much harder work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 mins ago, snag777 said:

casting reel has only advantige to crank the fish in,it is easy to crank.i use them only for troling or jiging.i prefer spining rod 7' with 30 # power pro,i cast with saint croix 7' light fast tip,spining rod 1 oz lures,if you need havier lures you need medium action rod,i can cast that rod all day ,nice and easy and i use 10' rod and it cast 10' longer cast then 7' rod,the 10' rod i have to cast 2 hand,the 7' i can cast with my wrist,the 10' longer cast is much harder work.

Thanks.

You use a 10' conventional rod on a boat?

JD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jjdbike said:

Thanks Mike.

Yes I know 8' is the standard. I always tried to stick w/ the tried & true. Now, w/ changes in gear: thinner line w/ NO stretch, strong smooth & light reels.

Also much fewer larger sized groundfish around.

I wonder if 7' - 7'6' aren't just as good, while being lighter easier and less tiring to use and more portable to travel with.

Wonder how much, if any casting distance one losses?

JD

Just to point out the obvious a 7 foot stick with a soft tip will probably cast further than 8 foot telephone pole. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 mins ago, MakoMike said:

Just to point out the obvious a 7 foot stick with a soft tip will probably cast further than 8 foot telephone pole. 

Good point,

Thanks.

JD

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jjdbike said:

Thanks.

You use a 10' conventional rod on a boat?

JD

10' spining rod,no advantage over 7' st.croix.

the longer spining 11' rod cast longer when you use havier lure.i just pick one for test $200.for the test.

if i put 1/4  oz havier lure on 7' spining rod i will cast longer cast then the 11' spining rod.

i ask abouth 30 rod buiders and manufacturer.every body told me i need longer rod to cast further,i picked 11' spinig rod for $200 and i do not have any advantige casting longer then the 7' rod.working harder yes,casting longer no.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2nd snag.  casting for 40 class tuna in Panama I used a 10 ft Albright travel....then a buddies 7 ft key largo sailfish special .....jigging type rod. both throwing same rangers I got little distance difference and it was so much easier and user friendly using the 7 ft rod.  also noted I could replace a few rods w one jigging rod. so versatile. on the bow w waves space restraints etc .....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.