Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
oceanAddict

Hallandale Beach in Feb

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Hi there,

We have a fam vacation week upcoming in February and going to stay in Hallandale Beach. Should I bring a rod for surf fishing so I could try my luck right in front of the hotel? I assume that boatless access is not very easy in the area, am I correct? How about these canals, not sure if this is a proper name, cam I fish there? I looked on Google and don't see obvious access points, except Haulover Beach Bark, but looks like fishing is prohibited on jetty accordingly to signs visible on google street? 

Would be glad to hear any suggestions; feel free to PM if feel it's not public info :)

Thank you

Beach fishing is usually prohibited during lifeguard hours so you'll have to fish early or late, but that is certainly an option. This time of year, you can expect jacks, spanish mackerel, blue runners, etc. on topwater (think tins) and pompano, etc. if you fish the bottom with sand fleas or shrimp. You can fish canals (depending on how far west you go, can be a mix of freshwater (LMB and peacock bass) and/or saltwater (snook, tarpon) species) and the intercoastal canal (saltwater only), but access can be a paid in the butt. There's also a number of charter/party boat operations at Haulover Inlet to consider. If you go north, there's a fishing pier at Dania Beach that is another option. 

Awesome, thank you, jmei!  Got the travel rod. Now have to go though lures tins etc and decide what to bring. Since it's a family trip I think I'm gonna be limited by beach fishing off hours and might be piers north and south. 

If you're on the beach and below the mean high tide mark you are generally not prohibited from fishing in the State of Florida (since that is State Waters, not owned by the local municipality, and you can generally fish in State Waters).  Access is generally a challenge in the South East, but if you know the laws and operate in accordance with them you should be fine.

Fishing off hours will only help so much, down on the beach in Dade County I've had the cops called on me at first light by someone doing yoga up by the dune.  After a brief conversation with the officer I continued fishing.