Nicky Da Fish

The Cost of Devisive Politics

Rate this topic

52 posts in this topic

Our current shut down highlights the inability for the parties to govern. Policies that used to have broad support, like boarder security, have been so over leveraged in campaign rhetoric that the other sides constituents won't tolerate any compromise on the issue. The very fact that Trump campaigned so forcefully for a wall is exactly why Democrats can't show any support for it and now that they have control of the House they actually have some power. Would Trump trade money for a wall for money for broader security measures? Would Trump's base support anything short of funding a wall even if it was an increase in budget for other needed border security measures? Feel free to apply this to any partisan issue. 

Edited by Nicky Da Fish

29 mins ago, Gotcow? said:

Don't be distracted by the side show.

20 Trillion in the hole and going south ever faster.

Pay attention to what really matters.

You mean the deficit? I accept that politics in a two party system are inherently divisive but it seems we are at the far end of the spectrum. At one point dems were willing to concede $25 billion for border security and reps were willing to concede a path to citizenship for dreamers. Now, nobody gets anything.

The fact that we're even willing to entertain this idea that border security is a negotiable issue shows how ridiculous the electorate has become.  If a person demands from me other moneys as a condition of protecting the border...he's a traitor.

25 mins ago, Nessmuk said:

The fact that we're even willing to entertain this idea that border security is a negotiable issue shows how ridiculous the electorate has become.  If a person demands from me other moneys as a condition of protecting the border...he's a traitor.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. If you don't see things the same way as me then you must be a traitor.

10 mins ago, Nicky Da Fish said:

This is exactly what I'm talking about. If you don't see things the same way as me then you must be a traitor.

Hmm.  So there's no such thing as traitors.

But there are.

16 mins ago, Nicky Da Fish said:

Really, the nonsensical nature of this merits further engagement.  You want to disagree with me transgender coddling, fine.  Not a national security issue.  You think the speed limits should be 30 mph nationwide?  Fine.  Not a national security issue.  You want to enable addicts with free drugs and needles?  Stupid, but not a national security issue.

You refuse to protect the border unless you get paid off?  You're a traitor.  And failing to call you a traitor gives the illusion that you just have a difference of opinion the same as on any other issue.  That's false.

The only way to stop the BULK illegals is have a BARRIER. Worked in the past all the way up until now. That the progs spoke the very SAME words- CRISIS-ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION-BARRIER-CRIMES against CITIZENS-nearly eradicated DISEASES as well as NO -VOTING-NO WELFARE and NO CITIZENSHIP and now the exact reverse ONLY because it's TRUMP is LUDICROUS.

You PARROT the pelosi propaganda words- BUT offer NO solution.

She even said she wants a digital wall- 0's & 2's won't do it.Drones won't do it. Sensors won't do it.

Since it's so easy to stretch- high tech-lasers,sound pulse, plasma what---  All would be more expensive then  a barrier.

The majority of people are mostly lazy. It's the money motivated  drug & human traffickers that will dig and make other efforts. The others want the easy walk over path. 

If you believe that word smithing- a medieval solution to a 21st century problem then take the wheels off your car. 

Got it- you said it clearly in the 1st post- ONLY because it's TRUMP. 

You hate Trump-ok -but he tries to negotiate. NO to anything-just because it's TRUMP is as childish as it gets (please don't make a list of what he did when he was a liberal) It is as ANTI USA as it gets. Now if only the propaganda  mill would go night & day with the hundreds of thousands of crimes from regular to primitive heinous against USA citizens as well as THOUSANDS of DEATHS. It might make an impact.

Bottom line- IF the illegals block VOTED REPUBLICAN it would be over in 20 minutes.

7 hours ago, hamlet said:

When do you believe politics has not been divisive? 

Politics are always divisive, but to steadfastly refuse to negotiate at all, well that’s something Obama started with his now infamous “I will not negotiate” speech.  l’ve often wondered why he constantly bee itched about the republicans not working with him when his idea of cooperation was “give me everything I want while I don’t give you anything you want.  It’s such a shame he didn’t use that same policy when not negotiating with the Iranians.

Great points here!

It is a shame that the politicians refuse to negotiate.  It seems like both sides have dug in for the moment, but I really do expect that will change very soon.

Why?

1. The oval office address

2. DJT sounding reasonable lately, which is why the media shows fewer recent video cuts of him, and substituting the babbling sound bites from Pelosi & Shumer.

3. Public opinion is starting to shift, with more people wondering why there is any compromise happening on an issue where compromise is fully expected and a reasonable topic that we should all agree on.

Expect movement towards a compromise next week :)

Negotiating, and trying to compromise with people like the Democrats, not acting in good faith is difficult, to impossible

Trump should do an Obama, and do a Congressional end around.

It was OK with Obamacare, it is OK with the wall.

I’m waiting for a poll. Once we see this poll leftists will be able to form their opinion. Havent been any that I’ve heard about. Surely the media is conducting polls, so why aren’t they releasing them ?

Maybe the media is afraid the leftists will form the wrong opinion ?

10 hours ago, Nessmuk said:

Amen!!