Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Capt.Castafly

Surgeons Knot

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, HL said:

Drew,

I can't picture how a surgeon's knot can be tied to end a suture.

Do you run the sutures to the right and then to the left and tie the 2 ends together??

I'll have to Google "how to suture"

How come it doesn't end up to be a figure 8 or granny?

BTW - what's the lightest weight you can cast with the VT 3-6??

Herb

The knot is started superficial to deep then deep to superficial(thru tissue). Then the first throw (double overhand basically) locks it followed by a single throw opposite ((the first like the boy scout square (right over left down under, left over right down under)). If it’s tied the same it will granny and won’t be secure. It also won’t look nice all that nice as well. Then it’s followed by a few more throws to finish. 

For the 3-6, I look at it as a 1-4 rod. I can go a little lighter than 1oz but the rod isn’t happy. 

Im actually working on the 2-4 right now. 

I use a triple or quad surgeon's knot all the time and I'm not a doctor (don't even play one on t.v.).

Great fast way to tie a new tippet section to a broken off and too short main leader.  Quad seems to work better than triple with uneven diameters. I do this mainly in light fly fishing situations, mainly freshwater applications, not big game or salt.

On 1/12/2019 at 8:08 AM, KironaFly said:

And according to people (like Lefty Kreh) who have studied & tested various knots in various circumstances, it's the simplest & most effective (breaking strength) knot to tie & use. 

This may be true, but also true: the blood knot is prettier.

1 hour ago, Capt.Castafly said:

The Blood Knot doesn't cinch well with different diameter tippets or if there is a  mixture of fluorocarbon and mono.

I've found this too - especially when jumping down in big increments.  Less so when going from 30# to 25# or 20#, for example.

I would like to get better at tying the double-uni.