Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Capt.Castafly

Surgeons Knot

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

Every time I get a Doctor slash fly fishermen on board, I ask them do you use the Surgeons Knot in your medical practice. 

We both get a chuckle when half will say, "What's that? Never heard of it? Nope, why would I use it?

I guess it's an old antiquated practice that must go way back when they sutured with thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not a doctor but I use the surgeons knot all the time - it's my go to for dissimilar diameter lines :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Capt.Castafly said:

Every time I get a Doctor slash fly fishermen on board, I ask them do you use the Surgeons Knot in your medical practice. 

We both get a chuckle when half will say, "What's that? Never heard of it? Nope, why would I use it?

I guess it's an old antiquated practice that must go way back when they sutured with thread.

I’m surprised so many are unaware of what a surgeons knot is. It’s still used pretty often.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Side note.  I'm going through a ten-year pile of Fly Fishing in SW, and then a ten year pile of Eastern Fly Fishing.  Capt. Castafly, you had quite a few articles there, over the years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BrianBM said:

Side note.  I'm going through a ten-year pile of Fly Fishing in SW, and then a ten year pile of Eastern Fly Fishing.  Capt. Castafly, you had quite a few articles there, over the years.

Thanks Brian for noticing. That was so kind.

I used to write for four national mags. I've had a good run in the Fly Fishing Industry. Some good innovative ideas along the way that people would say, Why didn't I think of that?

My Ex. would say, he's not good at anything, but he does know how to fish?

Lots of my fishing clients have caught record size fish on a fly.  I've been blessed to be a part of their memories.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, TimS said:

I'm not a doctor but I use the surgeons knot all the time - it's my go to for dissimilar diameter lines :)

And according to people (like Lefty Kreh) who have studied & tested various knots in various circumstances, it's the simplest & most effective (breaking strength) knot to tie & use. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's my favorite too, to join two different diameters mono or fluorocarbon together.

I was trying to make a point if Doctor's really use it or not or just some fishermen long time ago invented it and gave it that name?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Capt.Castafly said:

Thanks Brian for noticing. That was so kind.

I used to write for four national mags. I've had a good run in the Fly Fishing Industry. Some good innovative ideas along the way that people would say, Why didn't I think of that?

My Ex. would say, he's not good at anything, but he does know how to fish?

Lots of my fishing clients have caught record size fish on a fly.  I've been blessed to be a part of their memories.   

I'm saving a few of the issues of FF in SW.  Two separate piles: one on aspects of casting, and one on particular tying techniques, materials and specific patterns.  I'll note the patterns of yours that I'm saving in a later post.

 

Doing this does remind me of the passage of the years ... I remember when Jack Charlton was posting here, yet he's been dead for fifteen years. It seems so recent.  For whom the bell tolls ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 mins ago, BrianBM said:

I'm saving a few of the issues of FF in SW.  Two separate piles: one on aspects of casting, and one on particular tying techniques, materials and specific patterns.  I'll note the patterns of yours that I'm saving in a later post.

 

Doing this does remind me of the passage of the years ... I remember when Jack Charlton was posting here, yet he's been dead for fifteen years. It seems so recent.  For whom the bell tolls ...

So many are not with us anymore. Not only have some past like 4 X 4, but others are still around and don't log in anymore. Are you going to be hanging around RJ during the New Jersey Show. I will not be there this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not this year.  Leg problems, I am going nowhere until they're fixed.  I'll amuse myself with fly tying, but then need to buy casting lessons to recover form. Single and two-handed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Capt.Castafly said:

Every time I get a Doctor slash fly fishermen on board, I ask them do you use the Surgeons Knot in your medical practice. 

We both get a chuckle when half will say, "What's that? Never heard of it? Nope, why would I use it?

I guess it's an old antiquated practice that must go way back when they sutured with thread.

The surgeons knot is a staple for me. While I have zero idea what is used on the human side it is the foundation of every single suture pattern that I know. 

 

But, it is not used to join two different ‘lines’ but rather to complete a suture.

 

Ps - the last time that I ‘got stitches’ the pattern was simple interrupted and every suture involved a surgeons knot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

21 hours ago, Capt.Castafly said:

Thanks Brian for noticing. That was so kind.

I used to write for four national mags. I've had a good run in the Fly Fishing Industry. Some good innovative ideas along the way that people would say, Why didn't I think of that?

My Ex. would say, he's not good at anything, but he does know how to fish?

Lots of my fishing clients have caught record size fish on a fly.  I've been blessed to be a part of their memories.   

So far, just two things that I can save.  FF in SW March/April 2001, "6 for Spring." You're one of the six guides whose spring flies are described.  You spring fly of choice was "Capt. Ray's Angel Hair  Fly."  The article's by Jay Horton. There's no step-by-step, but the discussion of the fly, and techniques for managing Angel Hair, should make it easier to copy.  The same issue has an article on 'Geno's baby Angel," another pattern in the same material, so when I next sit at the vice, I can flip back and forth. a bit.

 

FF in SW, July/August 2006, Editor's Fly.  "Capt. Ray's Sardine Fly," Sea Green Ultra Hair and (surprise) various shades of Angel Hair: Pearl GoldSilver Angel Hair, Light Brown AH, Peacock AH, a nice step-by-step for the inept and thumbfingered, like me. 

 

There were other articles of yours in some of the other magazines (I don't know when I first subscribed, but I had FF in SW from 1999 on.)  Alas, condensation from a cold water pipe dripped some of them into cardboard.Just for old times' sake, I'll mention them if I trip over more of them. 

Edited by BrianBM
spelling error

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 mins ago, BrianBM said:

So far, just two things that I can save.  FF in SW March/April 2001, "6 for Spring." You're one of the six guides whose spring flies are described.  You spring fly of choice was "Capt. Rahy's Angel Hair  Fly."  The article's by Jay Horton. There's no step-by-step, but the discussion of the fly, and techniques for managing Angel Hair, should make it easier to copy.  The same issue has an article on 'Geno's baby Angel," another pattern in the same material, so when I next sit at the vice, I can flip back and forth. a bit.

 

FF in SW, July/August 2006, Editor's Fly.  "Capt. Ray's Sardine Fly," Sea Green Ultra Hair and (surprise) various shades of Angel Hair: Pearl GoldSilver Angel Hair, Light Brown AH, Peacock AH, a nice step-by-step for the inept and thumbfingered, like me. 

 

There were other articles of yours in some of the other magazines (I don't know when I first subscribed, but I had FF in SW from 1999 on.)  Alas, condensation from a cold water pipe dripped some of them into cardboard.Just for old times' sake, I'll mention them if I trip over more of them. 

Wow! You have a better search mode.... than a computer. You rival Google!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Drew,

I can't picture how a surgeon's knot can be tied to end a suture.

Do you run the sutures to the right and then to the left and tie the 2 ends together??

I'll have to Google "how to suture"

How come it doesn't end up to be a figure 8 or granny?

 

BTW - what's the lightest weight you can cast with the VT 3-6??

Herb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.