Dropthatbassbass

Windy conditions advice

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Hi Guys! 

As you can probably tell, I am very new to this site. I love stripper fishing and I am happy I found this community! One thing I have I trouble with is fishing offshore in windy conditions. For example, I fish in a lot of marshes and notice I can't get the correct action on some lures in these conditions. What is the best way to combat the wind and be more effective on these days? I could use a heavy lure or even bottom fish. Just curious what other's do to fish on windy days.

it can be really frustrating trying to keep contact with your lure in a cross wind. The wind creates a big bow in your line which makes it nearly impossible to feel any feed back or even the weight of your lure. In the surf, lures like bottle plugs and heavy needle fish are lures that are great for windy conditions. Bottles will dig into the water and give a vibration you can feel in the rod tip. Heavy needles you will simply feel the weight. I use super strike. As soon as my plug hits the water I drop the rod tip low and try to pick up slack as fast as possible until I feel the plug. I’ll raise the rod a bit after gaining contract with the plug but if I start to lose contact I drop it back down. What lures are you having trouble with? If fishing marshes I would first try keeping your rod tip low, almost on the water with your preferred lures. If your still having trouble then switch to a heavy jig or a bottle if it’s not too shallow. I hate cross winds. Its probably the most frustrating condition for me.

6 hours ago, Dropthatbassbass said:

Hi Guys! 

As you can probably tell, I am very new to this site. I love stripper fishing and I am happy I found this community! One thing I have I trouble with is fishing offshore in windy conditions. For example, I fish in a lot of marshes and notice I can't get the correct action on some lures in these conditions. What is the best way to combat the wind and be more effective on these days? I could use a heavy lure or even bottom fish. Just curious what other's do to fish on windy days.

Bucktails bucktails bucktails. 1/2, 3/4, 1, 1,5 oz etc. up to 4 or 5 oz depending where and how you are fishing. You need to study and know all of the little things about your spots. Fish the bucktail just above the bottom and swim it back all the way to you at a slow/medium speed. 

All advice above is good.  When there is a heavy wind, you need to chose the spot where you are fishing so that the wind is either at you back or preferably in your face.  Casting distance may be reduced, but you will not have to deal with a bow in your line caused by a crosswind. 

Bucktail or soft plastic off a float.  Works in back bays and the surf.  I've used them a lot on particularly windy days with good success.  I like them bc you can keep the jig high in the water column even with a low rod tip.   This method also creates a fair bit of drag in the water, so it's easy to keep your line tight.  I've fished jigs up to 2 oz this way.  You can also "see" when you get hit.