member_76486

Fish em or collect em

Rate this topic

50 posts in this topic

52 mins ago, MorningWood said:

My feeling is that there are so many new pugs around that catch fish why should you throw something that represents our hobby's history into the ocean and risk losing it or having it ripped to shred by bluefish. Most plug builders make dannys and swimmers that catch fish why throw a Musso or Pichney or Krystock? Do you think it's going to catch more fish than a RM Smith or an Afterhours or a Winch or Fixter? The same theory for those fancy expensive plugs made by niche builders. Do you think a Cyclone or Arsenal is going to out fish a Gibbs, or a beachmaster? I don't think so. It is fine to collect historical and high end plug builders if someone wants to fish them go for it you bought it and can do whatever you wish but for me I'd rather take my chances with AH, Beachmaster, Fixter and any of the plugs selling for reasonable prices.

I agree with this ... I’ve been moving out all the collectible plugs I have left recently ...  I have no need to fish with them, like you said there are plenty of other options ... 

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, Tailslap said:

I would love to blame this on snowflakes as I blame most things on them but people have been having this debate long before snowflakes.   

Yea, it’s probably not a generational thing. I just don’t get why some people care so much what others do with their stuff. 

A4F416C0-8C90-4899-8FD0-4AB7D6F7EC16.gif

Edited by SeaZen 21
Attachment

2 hours ago, MorningWood said:

My feeling is that there are so many new pugs around that catch fish why should you throw something that represents our hobby's history into the ocean and risk losing it or having it ripped to shred by bluefish. Most plug builders make dannys and swimmers that catch fish why throw a Musso or Pichney or Krystock? Do you think it's going to catch more fish than a RM Smith or an Afterhours or a Winch or Fixter? The same theory for those fancy expensive plugs made by niche builders. Do you think a Cyclone or Arsenal is going to out fish a Gibbs, or a beachmaster? I don't think so. It is fine to collect historical and high end plug builders if someone wants to fish them go for it you bought it and can do whatever you wish but for me I'd rather take my chances with AH, Beachmaster, Fixter and any of the plugs selling for reasonable prices.

Well said! That’s the way I see it as well.

I wish I had as much free time as some of the folks that get soooo worked up over collectors appear to lol.  Man, some of these dudes get way too fired up.

I agree with Morning Wood. So you can't get a brook trout RMSmith? I assure you that a white one will do just fine at a much more reasonable price. 

The truth is that collectors really don't command much of the market, even with heavily coveted lures. If 20 collectors are competing with a 1000 fishermen for a 100 lure run, who is driving the price here? I think collectors are more of a bogeyman to explain why you can't have something you want. 

23 hours ago, member_76486 said:

So I have bin seeing a lot of this going around the internet people complaing about people who collect plugs saying all plugs should be fished. I personally collect and I also have plugs I fish I don’t think there is anything wrong with collecting.I think there are plugs out there that have history and should be in a display case. me I have wood mussos I collect and rather see them in a show case and not see them get destroyed by bluefish. Thoughts??

Feel free to show us some of your Musso’s in the Musso collecting thread. A lot of guys on here have some insane collections. Personally started collecting Musso’s last year and I really enjoy it. Awesome to see the quality and work put into these plugs 30-40 years ago. I think certain plugs should be collected others fished, A mint condition Musso at this point in time should not see water. 

17 hours ago, MorningWood said:

Agreed. Very well said. Personally the only time I’ll fish a higher end plug is when I buy it used. 

I don't collect plugs but if I had a plug, or any fishing lure, worth money to a collector, i would sell it and buy lots of cheaper lures and other gear. Why would I risk losing it by tying it to my line? Common sense.....take the cash!

I like to see collections , and I agree on having plugs with history on display, I Love that stuff.  I know someone who strictly fishes bait but collects plugs , none of which are displayed anywhere and that's confusing. Oh well. 

Have a great admiration for those that preserve history or works of art. I'm glad there are people who are able to collect a little bit of history and pass it along with others to enjoy. 

6 mins ago, 1badf350 said:

I’m on the “preserve history” side of the fence. Of course I fish the new stuff.

02145818-224A-4138-908C-2641746E0088.jpeg

B4B40AD5-34A9-4AD8-9F4A-01A936CA598E.jpeg

6B8BD1AA-C77C-41D5-870A-73C58A48D3A4.jpeg

9855D94B-64C1-4C93-8C04-826893D6D24E.jpeg

54F80975-9883-4576-B754-62615C866B98.jpeg

Very nice collection!