member_76486

Fish em or collect em

Rate this topic

50 posts in this topic

So I have bin seeing a lot of this going around the internet people complaing about people who collect plugs saying all plugs should be fished. I personally collect and I also have plugs I fish I don’t think there is anything wrong with collecting.I think there are plugs out there that have history and should be in a display case. me I have wood mussos I collect and rather see them in a show case and not see them get destroyed by bluefish. Thoughts??

27 mins ago, member_76486 said:

So I have bin seeing a lot of this going around the internet people complaing about people who collect plugs saying all plugs should be fished. I personally collect and I also have plugs I fish I don’t think there is anything wrong with collecting.I think there are plugs out there that have history and should be in a display case. me I have wood mussos I collect and rather see them in a show case and not see them get destroyed by bluefish. Thoughts??

If people never collected anything we'd never have museums.

You spent the money? Yours to use however you wish.

I would love to get my hands on some valuable plugs for a reasonable price and fish the hell of out them. If I collect a plug, its because of the memories that plug can tell. I love fishing my plugs until the through wires loose and epoxy is cracked. A pretty little plug with jewels on it is a waste of money IMO. A plug builder wants to see fish hanging off their creations and pictures sent to them. You do what you want but Id love to have an oppotunity to fish $200 plugs for big bass.

Agree it’s your money.If you want to fish them fish them if collecting is your thing    Then collect them. Some people I know buy,sell and trade. Some people use it as a way just to meet new people who share the same interests as themselves.

15 mins ago, DragonsLax48 said:

I would love to get my hands on some valuable plugs for a reasonable price and fish the hell of out them. If I collect a plug, its because of the memories that plug can tell. I love fishing my plugs until the through wires loose and epoxy is cracked. A pretty little plug with jewels on it is a waste of money IMO. A plug builder wants to see fish hanging off their creations and pictures sent to them. You do what you want but Id love to have an oppotunity to fish $200 plugs for big bass.

I hear what your saying and believe me I have wood mussos I fish but then again there’s the plastic super strikes you can fish. As for plugs with the jewels on them that’s not my thing either but I’m not gonna knock the guys that do like them. I pretty much just collect old would mussos everything else I fish.

Just fish em!!

Nothing wrong with collecting, but eventually you will either lose interest with the hobby or years later, ask yourself, WTF am I doing with all these plugs hangin on some dusty shelf. Sooner or later you will sell them.

If collecting them for investment purposes, you”ll end up a poor, broken old man.

I fish my plugs.....don't collect them.  That said, there are plenty of other things I collect and have no problem with those who choose to collect plugs.  Whatever makes you happy is fine by me.

The only correct answer is “Do what you want”. I personally would not buy a plug for display purposes, but there are some true works of art out there.

1 hour ago, Tagman said:

If collecting them for investment purposes, you”ll end up a poor, broken old man.

Well, guess I'm already a poor broken old man but some plugs when I get them are just too special to risk putting them in the H2O for a dam yellow eyed bandit to rip off. I view them as works of art and I salute those artisans who have the skill to make them, and enjoy them on display. I like to think my boys when they get their hands on them once I'm old, cold and inna ground will fish the hell outta them. That said, nuttin like catchin a nice bass or blue or albie or dolphin or tarpon or snook on one of these handcrafted beauts. It's good either way. 

They are your plugs.....do with them whatever you want. Just never think if you collect them you will make a bunch of money off them. History says you won’t . 

5 hours ago, member_76486 said:

I never understand this kind of mentality. Why would anyone care what another does with their stuff? If you want to make necklaces out of your plugs, then have a blast. 

I read today that Dwayne Johnson, the rock, said “Generation snowflake” looks for things to complain about. Apparently he denies saying it, and I don’t typically quote him or other actors, but I kind of agreed. 

My feeling is that there are so many new pugs around that catch fish why should you throw something that represents our hobby's history into the ocean and risk losing it or having it ripped to shred by bluefish. Most plug builders make dannys and swimmers that catch fish why throw a Musso or Pichney or Krystock? Do you think it's going to catch more fish than a RM Smith or an Afterhours or a Winch or Fixter? The same theory for those fancy expensive plugs made by niche builders. Do you think a Cyclone or Arsenal is going to out fish a Gibbs, or a beachmaster? I don't think so. It is fine to collect historical and high end plug builders if someone wants to fish them go for it you bought it and can do whatever you wish but for me I'd rather take my chances with AH, Beachmaster, Fixter and any of the plugs selling for reasonable prices.

10 mins ago, SeaZen 21 said:

I never understand this kind of mentality. Why would anyone care what another does with their stuff? If you want to make necklaces out of your plugs, then have a blast. 

I read today that Dwayne Johnson, the rock, said “Generation snowflake” looks for things to complain about. Apparently he denies saying it, and I don’t typically quote him or other actors, but I kind of agreed. 

I would love to blame this on snowflakes as I blame most things on them but people have been having this debate long before snowflakes.