Jewjitzu

2018 Saltist Star Drag, Underrated?

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Scooby did a great tear down video on this reel earlier this year.

Then I found out they had a P (5.1 ratio) version. 

I picked up a 15P for my dad as he doesn't fish much and at $225 (no tax, free shipping, ebay bucks), I figured it was a perfect buy.

Hasn't been fished yet, but looking it over, I have to say this is one very well made reel. No it doesn't have 10 bearings. But it has 4 CRBB's and that's more than enough. At least I know the bearings I have are corrosion resistant. 17 pounds of drag is more than enough and even the star drag itself feels comparable to the saltiga. It's very smooth. It's not heavy at all but it feels solid. I was so impressed, I purchased the 20 size for my wreck rod. Figured I didn't need to spend $400 for my least used set up.

That all being said, I think for the money it's a better value than a trini, ocea jigger, or saltiga (not to say I wont/dont own them and like having super nice reels).. 

No, it doesn't have the same amount of refinement, smoothness, high level of gearing, protection and so on and so forth...

But it's just a really good reel at a really fair price and you barely hear anything about them. Would've thought the toggers in the North East would have been all over them.

I was in the market for a new toggin reel this winter and if the Saltist came in lefty, I probably would have one but ended up with a Saltiga instead. Not sure why Daiwa doesn’t offer a LH retrieve in any of their Saltist conventional reels. I own the older black levelwind Saltist and it feels solid but I just can’t get used to cranking with my right hand.

1 min ago, Wet_Dream said:

I was in the market for a new toggin reel this winter and if the Saltist came in lefty, I probably would have one but ended up with a Saltiga instead. Not sure why Daiwa doesn’t offer a LH retrieve in any of their Saltist conventional reels. I own the older black levelwind Saltist and it feels solid but I just can’t get used to cranking with my right hand.

My guess is because it would cut into their saltiga sales?

I liked that levelwind saltist. Only issues with it were its weight (3 ounces more than a tekota, and 6.1 where the tekota was 4.7). But a very well made reel. My first conventional.

37 mins ago, Jewjitzu said:

My guess is because it would cut into their saltiga sales?

I liked that levelwind saltist. Only issues with it were its weight (3 ounces more than a tekota, and 6.1 where the tekota was 4.7). But a very well made reel. My first conventional.

It worked on me, but I was willing to shell out the difference to upgrade (I found a sweet deal online). A lot of competition at that Saltist price point: Accurate Tern, Penn Fathom, Shimano Torium and even some of the larger low profiles.

The levelwind Saltist was my first conventional as well, and I agree, hefty but very well made. I might just keep it and use it for trolling and livelining bunker from the kayak.

I have a few Saltist 20 HC...my favorite baiting reel because the clicker will scare old ladies. Built like a tank and the high gearing is perfect for bait checking. Is a heavy reel for jigging, but will work.

Sold all of my Calcutta 400B's and Abu 6500's.

Got a few Chrome Rockets left and went up to the Shimano Calcutta Conquest 400's, but the clickers are weak.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I think the price point is too high. Yeah you can get a nice deal on eBay every once and a while but I believe retail is $240.

I had plans of trying one out since I’ve always liked the saltist line but best I could find was $225ish so I just bought another saltiga on sale from jigging world for not much more lol. 

I’ll end up with a saltist eventually 

Edited by MikeS 51

37 mins ago, MikeS 51 said:

I think the price point is too high. Yeah you can get a nice deal on eBay every once and a while but I believe retail is $240.

I had plans of trying one out since I’ve always liked the saltist line but best I could find was $225ish so I just bought another saltiga on sale from jigging world for not much more lol. 

I’ll end up with a saltist eventually 

The JDM Saltiga 10 from jigging world is a great deal. And I'd already have picked it up if not for the difference in line capacity between the 10 and 15.

Rationally even though 600 feet of 30lb braid should be more than enough for normal black fishing, something in the back of the head screams I need 900. 

6 mins ago, Jewjitzu said:

The JDM Saltiga 10 from jigging world is a great deal. And I'd already have picked it up if not for the difference in line capacity between the 10 and 15.

Rationally even though 600 feet of 30lb braid should be more than enough for normal black fishing, something in the back of the head screams I need 900. 

I have the 15 and now the 10. I think I got close to if not the entire spool of 330 yrd 30 lb jbraid on it.  If you are togging with it I don't see how you'll ever have a problem. 

Another reason why I didn't jump on the salitst just yet is a really really like the new torium 14. It's incredibly smooth and powerful. Great size too. 

16 mins ago, MikeS 51 said:

I have the 15 and now the 10. I think I got close to if not the entire spool of 330 yrd 30 lb jbraid on it.  If you are togging with it I don't see how you'll ever have a problem. 

Another reason why I didn't jump on the salitst just yet is a really really like the new torium 14. It's incredibly smooth and powerful. Great size too. 

I find the 15's out of stock a lot, I regret selling mine. Want it back.

You got 330 on the 10?? Their specs dont even claim that with japanese braid.

I like the torium a lot. I just wish that like the saltist, they made it in a low gear. The 16 with the long handle is very nice, with a ton of drag, but it's too heavy. Would be nice to see that in the 14.

I had a silver Saltist 20. The drag star stripped. It was a common problem the first few years. Don't know if they added more threads or not. I would strongly suggest that you not adjust the drag constantly, or crank it down hard (just because you can) Other than that it was a sweet reel. I sold it years ago and it is still going strong.

I was looking at them and went with the penn fathom 12 star drag .. cheaper and built like a tank and very simple reel ... super fast straight out of box .. if anything it needed some heavier oil to slow it alil .. have landed 100s if sharks on it and still smooth as day one two year later with minimal servicing .. best value Out there IMO 

I love mine fished it hard this year went on 3 or commercial trips also caught monster Silver eels 17 or 18 lb dog fish, stray Pollock and a couple of cod. No real monster tog biggest maybe in the 7 or 8 lb range. Held up beautifully awesome drag nice and smooth. I compared it to my to my friends Saltiga the only difference I see externally is the spool lock. I never opened it up yet. She wanted something different inside. I have the 6:4:1 ratio I just real up a little slower. Can't wait to use it next year. I have 50 lb J braid and a 50 lb fluorocarbon Top shot

20190112_115429.jpg

20190112_115420.jpg

I have two Saltist 20 LW's still sold today. Had two for years now all original parts. No issues. Hope that new design serves you well.

Saltist is an exceptional piece in the price range along with Torium and Fathom star.

However, for jigging or deeper water drops...Fathom 40N.