SallyGrowler

What would you do?

Rate this topic

What would you do?  

1. 1. Fighting the power

• Sell and take a six-fig loss, never look back
    • Stand and fight but legal tangle could get pricey
    • Stay, keep your mouth shut and pretend all is well

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

46 posts in this topic

we bought in 2013, and shortly thereafter realized that things weren't what they seemed.

Condo Board Members approved expenses for meals and entertainment that were itemized as "Cable" or "Uniforms".

We discovered thousands of dollars in strange expenditures after a cursory review of one of several credit card statements. 

we took our findings to the regulatory for Florida - Div of Business and Professional Responsibility.

They investigated and did nothing.

In an exchange with the former treasurer of the board, he admitted to me in a board meeting that the expenses were improper and a potential liability - as a CPA, he resigned a few months later

We continued to ask questions and make document requests. 

We soon discovered patterns of behavior that if it occurred in any other business, there would be hell to pay.

In 2017 - after submitting a list of operational and financial questions to the board, they threatened to sue us.

I didn't vote in the poll because what I would do depends on my situation money wise.

I would like to stay and fight, and my most likely choice. But, if I could afford a 6 figure hit, that would be the easiest.

Staying and pretending all is well is my last choice. I would end up arrested if one of those folks got mouthy.

The manager controls the board.

In 2015 we ran for the board. I was told by former board members that there was no way the manager would let us on the board.

There are over 500 units in our condo. 75% are part-time or investment vehicle occupancy.

After the election, we were slandered and libeled. Board members told people we were there to steal a million dollars (wacky stuff).

The manager was handing out propaganda about us and some of our friends.

Recently the association took on a $13million window replacement project. One problem: The windows don't match the existing doors.

This caused a backlash in the community.

Another group formed and suddenly my wife and I had regained credibility.

More people came forward with corruption and harassment stories about the manager.

In 2018 we made a document request for all emails to and from the board/manager that mentioned our family name or our unit number.

What they produced were emails by board members planning on how to sue us or get us to leave the building.

One letter stands out above all. In a 17-line-item report from the manager to the board, where 16 items were about building maintenance and nonsense, the very first item on the list was that SallyGrowler and His wife were seen at X-Restaurant having dinner with John an Jane Doe.

(Names changed to protect the innocent).

We wrote certified Q's to the Board and manager demanding to know what his was about.

They replied they did not know about it or simply forgot.

We confronted the manager in an open meeting. Mrs SG demanded to know why he was stalking us.

The manager said - "you better stop asking these questions!"

We have communicated all of our findings the state regulatory authority, the local police, the country financial crime unit (we found $30k in "favors" to a particular board member).

The local police refuse to get involved. They say condos are not their problem.

The county FinCrime unit said that they don't investigate "civil crime" - yep I lost it.

Posted (edited) · Report post

4 mins ago, SallyGrowler said:

We have communicated all of our findings the state regulatory authority, the local police, the country financial crime unit (we found $30k in "favors" to a particular board member).

The local police refuse to get involved. They say condos are not their problem.

The county FinCrime unit said that they don't investigate "civil crime" - yep I lost it.

Sounds like time to lawyer up, and go after the board civilly. Sue them personally as well.

Edited by dena