Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MarkG

Sparrows Nesting in January?

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

In Rockland County, NY

Have 2 birdhouses side by side w/nesting sparrows. Males guarding/females sitting and sometimes reverse as the usual.

Its +- 32º outside! They r not practicing or checking out box like juveniles do in the Spring. Its been going on since Dec!

I'm fearful for the eventual chicks IF/when they hatch. If they live, the training sessions in the eventual snow will b brutal.

I personally attribute to the unusal warm weather we've had, 'til now.

Anyone having or had this experience?

38 mins ago, MikeMc said:

Maybe they're just trying to stay warm. 

yeah, there's always that but these guys r nesting....seen behavior dozens of times before. they r literally 5 ft from my from my dining rm window

i doubt they are nesting/laying eggs in winter in ny. you probably have a pair staking out a nest box for spring and roosting in it at night, especially if nest cavities are scarce or its the warmest nest box in the area.

maybe the recent warm spell has them mixed up and they started courting behavior and stuff, but i doubt there are eggs. even if there are eggs, don't worry, they are an invasive species and we could actually do with less of them as they often keep our native birds from nesting cavities and boxes since they are so aggressive.

If the weather is warmer than usual for January, animals that breed multiple times in a year may begin the process.

Of course once the cold settles in they stop.

There was a new story regarding the disappearance of small dogs (Chihuahuas for example).

I didn't get to hear the full story, but it reminded me of an "outdoors" article years ago that warned about an increase or "Lost Pet" signs in urban areas. Many people naturally presumed it was people stealing dogs to use as "target practice" for their pit bulls/fighting dogs, but what was/is happening is the increase of coyotes and their respective ranges has them hunting for food in our backyards. When the weather is unseasonably warm for winter they will breed and have pups to feed.

You could call it an effect of "global warming", but I'll call it "nature taking advantage of the situation".  

1 min ago, FishermanTim said:

You could call it an effect of "global warming", but I'll call it "nature taking advantage of the situation".  

I call it both. 

13 hours ago, MarkG said:

yeah, there's always that but these guys r nesting....seen behavior dozens of times before. they r literally 5 ft from my from my dining rm window

so open the window and let them in...

Edited by redfishkiller

17 hours ago, MarkG said:

In Rockland County, NY

Have 2 birdhouses side by side w/nesting sparrows. Males guarding/females sitting and sometimes reverse as the usual.

Its +- 32º outside! They r not practicing or checking out box like juveniles do in the Spring. Its been going on since Dec!

I'm fearful for the eventual chicks IF/when they hatch. If they live, the training sessions in the eventual snow will b brutal.

I personally attribute to the unusal warm weather we've had, 'til now.

Anyone having or had this experience?

. Do nothing , let nature take its course  , come back with a report