RockRonin

New Member Just bought new Torque TRQS5 ???

34 posts in this topic

Just bought a Gen1 Torque5 on Ebay: No Box/Tools/Paperwork/Shims, just the reel. I unboxed it and it looks "new", with a Gomexus power knob that has a few scratches on it. It was spooled at one point(still has a wrap and the knot on the spool)...so, not "new" new. There is play in the bail arm and the knob has side to side play and clicks against the handle. When I crank the reel, besides the click from the knob against the handle, it sounds raspy and feels a little geary, and there's an internal click. There's a little side to side play in the handle as well. It's not as smooth as my 3 Slammers, but looks beautiful("Gold...it's really Gold"), it just doesn't feel like a "Super-Spinner" the way I got it. Before I do anything else should I send it to Penn and have it gone through and let them spool it up for me? I have no idea what I'm looking at and it just doesn't feel right. Maybe it's fine, but like I said, all my Slammers feel perfect and I'm thinking this one was rode hard and put up wet maybe. It looks new, maybe not though.

p.jpg

15 mins ago, RockRonin said:

Just bought a Gen1 Torque5 on Ebay: No Box/Tools/Paperwork/Shims, just the reel. I unboxed it and it looks "new", with a Gomexus power knob that has a few scratches on it. It was spooled at one point(still has a wrap and the knot on the spool)...so, not "new" new. There is play in the bail arm and the knob has side to side play and clicks against the handle. When I crank the reel, besides the click from the knob against the handle, it sounds raspy and feels a little geary, and there's an internal click. There's a little side to side play in the handle as well. It's not as smooth as my 3 Slammers, but looks beautiful("Gold...it's really Gold"), it just doesn't feel like a "Super-Spinner" the way I got it. Before I do anything else should I send it to Penn and have it gone through and let them spool it up for me? I have no idea what I'm looking at and it just doesn't feel right. Maybe it's fine, but like I said, all my Slammers feel perfect and I'm thinking this one was rode hard and put up wet maybe. It looks new, maybe not though.

p.jpg

If it was spooled up and has an aftermarket handle on it...it's not new. If you bought it from someone claiming it's new in the box, return it and contact eBay - that would be fraud.  If you bought it as used, it sounds used :)  If the reel feels rode hard and put away wet, it probably was...if that's not what you paid for, send it back :)  

Totally up to you whether you send it to PENN for service...if you didn't expect it to require service, send it back to wherever you purchased it :)

TimS

If you feel the item is not as described, even if the seller does not accept returns, if you paid by PayPal you can still contest it. It would all depend on what wording was used in the listing. 

2 hours ago, Darth Baiter said:

What if it says: "seller does not accept returns" ?

I would have never bought it the first place. Screw the seller, you know there not legit by saying that. I'm sorry ,I don't buy sh%t from flea bay. I want to see what i'm buying. 

5 hours ago, TimS said:

If it was spooled up and has an aftermarket handle on it...it's not new. If you bought it from someone claiming it's new in the box, return it and contact eBay - that would be fraud.  If you bought it as used, it sounds used :)  If the reel feels rode hard and put away wet, it probably was...if that's not what you paid for, send it back :)  

Totally up to you whether you send it to PENN for service...if you didn't expect it to require service, send it back to wherever you purchased it :)

TimS

The seller didn't advertise "New In Box" and for the price I got it for, I assumed I might be buying a pig in a poke...but besides the scratches on the knob, which were shown, and the knot and loop there isn't a mark on it. Not one. The bail looseness concerns me, but I anticipated sending it to Penn to convert to bailless, but having never laid hands on a Gen1 Penn Torque, I simply don't have anything to gauge it on. These pictures are what was advertised, even the scratched knob. What you see is what I got. What does an overhaul cost?

thumbnail_s-l400%20(6).jpg

thumbnail_s-l400%20(5).jpg

thumbnail_s-l400%20(2).jpg

thumbnail_s-l400%20(3).jpg

thumbnail_s-l400%20(4).jpg

15 mins ago, RockRonin said:

The seller didn't advertise "New In Box" and for the price I got it for, I assumed I might be buying a pig in a poke..

I'm sorry, your first post made it seem like you were surprised that it was used :)

No idea what it costs for an overhaul - hopefully one of the @PENN Fishing guys can give you some rough idea - they obviously won't know what's wrong with it without seeing it :)

TimS

I'm sorry, your first post made it seem like you were surprised that it was used :)

No idea what it costs for an overhaul

It did say "new", but mentioned the scratched knob. I asked the seller if he had the box and everything and he said no. I'm certain the word I'm looking for isn't "overhaul", "tuning" would probably be more appropriate. The click I'm hearing happens when the spool changes direction Up/Down. I just took the knob off and shimmed it with a piece of packaging plastic and that tightened up the play there, I'll bet someone more skilled than me would have no problem with the rest, like I said, I don't really have a gauge of what it's supposed to run like. I'm pretty sure the bail arm shouldn't be so mushy though.

Beautiful reel! Your gonna love it!

Any of the defects you described will be an easy fix if you send it in to the factory. The Torque truly is an American made “super spinner”, and Penn offers some of the best service in the industry. I should also mention, Penn has the best communication with there customers, especially right here on SOL.

16 hours ago, RockRonin said:

No idea what it costs for an overhaul

It did say "new", but mentioned the scratched knob. I asked the seller if he had the box and everything and he said no. I'm certain the word I'm looking for isn't "overhaul", "tuning" would probably be more appropriate. The click I'm hearing happens when the spool changes direction Up/Down. I just took the knob off and shimmed it with a piece of packaging plastic and that tightened up the play there, I'll bet someone more skilled than me would have no problem with the rest, like I said, I don't really have a gauge of what it's supposed to run like. I'm pretty sure the bail arm shouldn't be so mushy though.

The click is caused by the sound of the tranverse cam as it travels back and forth inside the reel during the spool oscillation, it isn't an issue and is easily resolved with some added grease. 

Sounds like your reel just needs scrubbed clean followed by a lube and tune job and it will be back to new. Not many reels were built to be as simple and rugged as the original Penn Torques.

I had the same reel bought brand new but in black. I agree w Beastly in that it probably just needs a tune up (send it to Philly and have them take care of it.) 

i will say that my reel came out of the box with the click/knock and felt geary. This reel is not a smooth spinner, wasn't built to be, but rather a tank that can take abuse above and under water. 

There Harley-davidsons,,,,,:laugh: you got to tinker with them,,,,,you can get a new handle arm from mysticparts and some cals 2 speed grease for the drag washers,,,big +,,,,,but when you get all the stars in line with space time and reality it's great reel,,,:hooked:

20180930_222731.jpg

20181105_172900_015_01.jpg

20181108_194821.jpg

Rock, Welcome to the forum. What area do you hail from. Sometimes there is a Local Penn certified repair shop near you. Like I have one near Dewey beach DE. Old inlet B & T. Not close but not far. There a full repair shop for Penn reels as I understand. For overhauling, cleaning, repairs , there great. They might not do full warranty work. Won't hurt to check. Could save a little time. Tight lines.

Rock,

Cost for a Torque servicing is $45.00 + return shipping.  This doesn't include any parts that are needed.  The Torque uses a stainless pinion and alum-bronze gear so its naturally a little more "geary" then you average spinning reel.  As far as the internal click, if you only hear/feel it when the spool reaches the top or bottom of the stroke this is the crosswind block changing directions.  If you still wish to send the reel in you can find all the info and a repair form on our website.  www.pennfishing.com

Any more questions let me know.

tony

After closer examination, the flimsiness in the bail seems to have been due to the roller screw being loose, I tightened that up and fashioned a makeshift shim for the knob, so those issues are solved. All that's left of my original worries is the slight side-to-side motion of the handle and it sounding a little loud compared to the Slammers I have. If I had the paperwork and the schematic, I would crack it open and see what I could do about these issues. Maybe Penn carries the shims I might need for the handle. ??