Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mightyrime

Palegic setup.. 12wt?

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Mr. Oliver,

Not sure why you'd say that other than the rod is like a fence post, has tons of EVA foam and a graphite reel seat ...

Not your cup of tea I'd wager...

I don't own that rod, but my main point was there are some really crazy overbuilt 12wts.  Look up Cam Sigler bluewater rods.  I think they went up to 16wt but the 12wt looks quite a bit like the above rod.

--Killie

Sorry Killie if we ever get that time together  fishing you would probably would just  shake your head and smile.

Whats with the formalities  how about Oly, Olie or Mike unless you were pissed with me. 

Your point is bang on. So many  rods are not really what they say they are .

The one you show case is a perfect example. Way over the top as a 12 wt.

I have seen some of these big blue water rods and  in essence they are light boat rods. Usually with two footed guides and long grips just like a stand up boat rod. Lets face it they have to be like this to give the Angler any hope of fighting a large fish.

Mike

1 hour ago, Mike Oliver said:

Sorry Killie if we ever get that time together  fishing you would probably would just  shake your head and smile.

Whats with the formalities  how about Oly, Olie or Mike unless you were pissed with me. 

Your point is bang on. So many  rods are not really what they say they are .

The one you show case is a perfect example. Way over the top as a 12 wt.

I have seen some of these big blue water rods and  in essence they are light boat rods. Usually with two footed guides and long grips just like a stand up boat rod. Lets face it they have to be like this to give the Angler any hope of fighting a large fish.

Mike

Just messing with you.  My 12 weight rods don't even have the extra front grip or if they do it's cork so I can still easily cast the damn thing.   With the very thought of a blue marlin at the other end of the line, any aesthetic consideration goes out the window.

On 1/11/2019 at 11:47 AM, mightyrime said:

what area you going to?  where are you staying?  I am still in research mode.

I caught my first sailfish on fly in December with Franklin Araya on the Big Eye II out of Quepos.  He was great - very experienced on the fly, which is hard to find down there.

Incidentally, he has a sweet T&T bluewater setup with a Tibor Pacific on it. 

I was on a TFO Bluewater 13-15 with an Islander LX4.5.  I only hooked a sailfish, my 12Wt would have been enough.  I understand marlin pull much harder.