PurpelNoon

Material to stop a plastic bottle from leaking

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

I like to carry large plastic bottles with wide lids in the car in case of "emergencies" especially for long rides with the kids. I have purchased several different bottles for this purpose and they all leak badly! I was wondering if there is any material that I can cut and force into the lid that will act as a gasket when once the lid is screwed on. 

I saw a video on youtube where someone used the bottom of a Styrofoam cup but these lids are larger diameter and are too big.

Any ideas appreciated. Thanks!

I'm assuming this is what you are carrying the bottles for... 

These things are great. There's crystals inside that gel when wet. They don't leak unless you try to use one more than once :wag:

brief-relief-urinal-bag-86.png

1 min ago, Scallywag said:

I'm assuming this is what you are carrying the bottles for... 

These things are great. There's crystals inside that gel when wet. They don't leak unless you try to use one more than once :wag:

brief-relief-urinal-bag-86.png

Spot on. We use these at work, they're great.

I just use a Gatorade bottle, but if what ever your'e using is leaking a rubber band around the threads will stop it.  I also used the rubber bands to prevent the gulp containers from dripping.

I truly think this is over-thinking it....

just buy a case of water and throw a few of the bottles in the car. Then, replace them every couple of months if you want and drink the bottles that you removed from the car. A case of water at costco is about $4

Yeah I hear you, I am overthinking it. My kids drink orange juice with a wide mouth top (small water bottles aint gonna cut it) and Ill just use those and then throw them out, no cleaning or anything.