jkrock

immigration has been good for America

Rate this topic

56 posts in this topic

We are a country of immigrants.  We needed immigrants.  Immigration has been good for America.  I think(hope) those are three noncontroversial facts.:shrug:

Does that mean immigration will always be good for America?  Do we always need more and more and more?  If not, what's the cutoff point?  Is it a cultural issue or an economic one or a combination of that and other things? What's the end game?

2 mins ago, mitchell master said:

,we don't need illegals

correct,

it's not a matter of need,

it's a matter of want,

many Americans WANT cheap labor.

and will break laws in order to pay less......

if we stopped giving work to illegal immigrants, the flow would decrease significantly.

Well, illegals are one part of it.  Everyone says we need immigration reform for the legal immigrants too.

What's that going to look like and  how many becomes too much of a good thing(or not)?

Personally, I'd l ke to see an end to diversity visas.  that's just stupid, IMO  I bet a Kennedy came up with that

We need it for the demographics as our birthrate doesn't support the current population numbers. Without immigrants, our economy would shrink causing all sorts of issues like the Social Security Ponzi scheme imploding.

Just now, The Dude said:

We need it for the demographics as our birthrate doesn't support the current population numbers. Without immigrants, our economy would shrink causing all sorts of issues like the Social Security Ponzi scheme imploding.

Great.... lets get all the applications together and review them, choose those who best suit are needs and turn the others around 

Just now, RiverRaider said:

Great.... lets get all the applications together and review them, choose those who best suit are needs and turn the others around 

:th:

2 mins ago, fish'nmagician said:

correct,

it's not a matter of need,

it's a matter of want,

many Americans WANT cheap labor.

and will break laws in order to pay less......

if we stopped giving work to illegal immigrants, the flow would decrease significantly.

I agree.  So long as cheap and illegal labor is available businesses will continue to seek it.  If the country stops the flow to near 0, business models will change and consumers/businesses will adapt.  In the end, we're better off without people illegally coming into the country.

2 mins ago, Fly By Nite said:

I agree.  So long as cheap and illegal labor is available businesses will continue to seek it.  If the country stops the flow to near 0, business models will change and consumers/businesses will adapt.  In the end, we're better off without people illegally coming into the country.

LOL

I think fighting illegal immigration will be a smashing success by addressing the supply,

just like our war on drugs.

Posted (edited) · Report post

i'm not convinced on the birth rate argument.  I believe that is correctable without immigration, if needed. 

I don't think Germany's immigration policy is what helped Germany rebuild itself into the largest economy in Europe after being pounded flat by WW2 .  Ditto for Japan.

I bet we have men and women here who could crank out a few more pups for the cause when the time comes.

Birth rates can fluctuate wildly and in short order, and seemly in response to what a nation needs to sustain itself

Edited by jkrock