jsbergen

Best Metal Lip Swimmers for shallow sand beaches

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 1/12/2019 at 3:30 PM, bbfish said:

Ive never bent a lip on a plug so poorly that I couldn't bend back to the point where it swims the way I intended.  I fish alot of metal lips, I bend them quite literally all the time.  The no bending the lip superstition is something that just gets regurgitated over and over and over on this forum.

Bend the line tie or the lip, its the same thing: modifying a tool.  Just make small adjustments at a time. Dont just grab the lip with pliers and twist as hard as you can and you'll be completely fine.  I argue it will make you a better fishermen in the end.

Yes and no

Adjust the eye first, then the lip if you need to

If you have to adjust the lip to get it to swim the way it's supposed to it wasn't a very good plug to start with

Edited by Sudsy

26 mins ago, Sudsy said:

Yes and no

Adjust the eye first, then the lip if you need to

If you have to adjust the lip to get it to swim the way it's supposed to it wasn't a very good plug to start with

Sure, adjust the line tie first if you want.  

But to your 2nd statement, I'm not talking about getting a plug to swim as its "supposed to".  I said if I want the plug to swim as I intend it to.  If I'm in a spot where it turns out I need some serious depth and all I have is a shallow swimmer, I can adjust both to really get that sucker down.

I'll often find myself fishing waters I didn't necessarily plan on at the beginning of my outing, as such I gotta make do with what I have with me.

51 mins ago, bbfish said:

Sure, adjust the line tie first if you want.  

But to your 2nd statement, I'm not talking about getting a plug to swim as its "supposed to".  I said if I want the plug to swim as I intend it to.  If I'm in a spot where it turns out I need some serious depth and all I have is a shallow swimmer, I can adjust both to really get that sucker down.

I'll often find myself fishing waters I didn't necessarily plan on at the beginning of my outing, as such I gotta make do with what I have with me.

That's very different and I completely agree

1 hour ago, Dead Duck said:

Hahn surfsters work shallow with nice movement in still water

Dead Duck beat me too it. The Hahns we worth their weight in gold in the quite still shallow waters. They were very buoyant plugs and in the back waters which were sometimes brackish that extra buoyancy made them very life like in the water.