jsbergen

Best Metal Lip Swimmers for shallow sand beaches

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hey folks,  Looking for suggestions/tips on metal lips for mostly shallow sand beach. Which style has been best for you? How is the Surfster different from a Danny? My favorite is the CCW jetty swimmer.  Thoughts?Thanks!

Edited by jsbergen
Length

Surfsters are generally squattier in shape and their lips are pretty much vertically (downward) oriented and concave (spoon shaped). The more vertical the lip, the less it dives. In general, metal lipped plugs with the lip more horizontally in front of the head, the deeper the dive angle. Bob Hahn and Lex surfsters are two of the best known from years back. Google them and you'll see what I mean. Small Gibbs Dannys are also good in those situations. 

Although ot metal lip, John skinner's book did talk about a large bomber he liked for shallows.  17a maybe....

I got the one he said in bone white and purple.  It does make a good wake.  The fish see that pretty well even more so in low light.

1 hour ago, baldwin said:

Surfsters are generally squattier in shape and their lips are pretty much vertically (downward) oriented and concave (spoon shaped). The more vertical the lip, the less it dives. In general, metal lipped plugs with the lip more horizontally in front of the head, the deeper the dive angle. Bob Hahn and Lex surfsters are two of the best known from years back. Google them and you'll see what I mean. Small Gibbs Dannys are also good in those situations. 

Thanks for the input and the knowledge.  Just learned something new about metal lips and the dive angle.  Will help going forwards. 

For shallow water I would go with a Danny that's fairly large, but light so it stays on top.  Bend the lip down to about 45 degrees and play with the line tie until it swims nice but stays on the surface.

Life's too short to not bend a lip or two.

Bending the lip on Dannys may screw up the action if you're not careful. You can bend the line tie down a bit to get it to stay up and it'll do just fine if you crawl it. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Bigfish bait Co “prey” swimmer is a great shallow water v-wake maker.  Super seductive wiggle on it too!

6” and around 2.26-2.5oz I believe

F0CEADE5-ED01-4829-B863-83B3919CF382.jpeg

Edited by FoliFish

3 hours ago, baldwin said:

Bending the lip on Dannys may screw up the action if you're not careful. You can bend the line tie down a bit to get it to stay up and it'll do just fine if you crawl it. 

Ive never bent a lip on a plug so poorly that I couldn't bend back to the point where it swims the way I intended.  I fish alot of metal lips, I bend them quite literally all the time.  The no bending the lip superstition is something that just gets regurgitated over and over and over on this forum.

Bend the line tie or the lip, its the same thing: modifying a tool.  Just make small adjustments at a time. Dont just grab the lip with pliers and twist as hard as you can and you'll be completely fine.  I argue it will make you a better fishermen in the end.

atom jr swam on top is an old killer of fish,,,

repainted[red head/white tail] atom jr with a gator caught in 3 feet of water,only fish caught that night.

5c3a7e6be7220_HHPlugWerxLDP771.JPG.f4a4e66e47e1a6b52af1a0348209c05d.JPG

HH

CCW jetty swimmer is an awesome plug, and seems to work well when other metal lip styles aren't drawing strikes. Also Cant go wrong with a Gibbs danny in the spring.

On 1/12/2019 at 7:54 PM, PatFin401 said:

CCW jetty swimmer is an awesome plug, and seems to work well when other metal lip styles aren't drawing strikes. Also Cant go wrong with a Gibbs danny in the spring.

The Jetty swimmer is a very versatile plug.  I find myself throwing CCW plugs more and more these days.

Most metal lipped swimmers are awful casting, they either tumble or are like tossing a pair of wet socks. I do like the smaller (1 3/4 oz.) Choopy Swimmer, although only about 4" long, with a dressed tail it swims like its 8". It also casts better maybe because its shorter. That bein' said, its my favorite. Not sure if they are still around, I bought a bunch whilst SOL was selling, still have more than few left.

If you can find them, buy a couple and you'll see.