member_76486

Braided line

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

Still love Fireline 14 or 20 ... wished they were cheaper.  Have used Tuffline XP, PP, Sufix 832 & some others.  Have a spool of JBraid that I haven't pooled on yet.

I can't tell much difference between the braids in all the years I have fished. Fireline yes as it's not as limp.

Most of my issues were with uni knots or if I if did get a wind knot it was on me for not checking the line lay/ spool face prior to casting. 

I have used fireline, regular sufix, power pro, and super slick, and sufix 832. I have ended up using 832 for everything. Just use leader or top shot. Hard to beat its castability, strength, casting ability, and price.

I vote for suffix 832 as well. Started with power pro, went to suffix, then to suffix 832.  Tried Spiderwire Invisibraid which was really good but more expensive.  Now I just stick with the 832. Never had any problems.

Edited by 40shades-of-blue

I thought JasonB summmed it up pretty good. When I first tried braid I got some Gorilla Braid, slapped it on a reel and immediately broke off on my first cast with an outrageous backlash. Total operator error driven by a lack of knowledge. I picked the backlash out and used the line for a couple of years as the backing for a topshot on one of my smaller spinning reels. It was six or eight years before I tried braid again, and were it not for Otter's tutelage, I might still be using mono. 

I grew up with mono and don't see the point of the cast-close-pull technique (I also cut myself pretty good trying to learn it). As a result, I use Fireline for its easy-going line lay. 

I have tried a number of the most popular braids and came to the conclusion that they are more similar than different. My opinion is that brand loyalty is more emotive than quantitative. This is not a negative observation: experience indicates that most things work better if you think they will work. 

22 hours ago, Spigola said:

Sufix 832 for all my fishing.  Beach, bottom, whatever.  I use flouro topshots and leaders and am as happy as a clam.  Never had the 832 break.  Just be sure to check you line frequently if fishing near jetties.  Rocks eat lines.

Sufix 832 is actually the only braid I have used that can withstand backlashes without snapping off everytime. Actually, it is rare that I have ever snapped off when using 832, even when casting large musky lures or casting 8nbait.

There was a peroid of time this past year that you could get a 1200yd spool of 832 for $60 on Amazon, I bought about 3 spools during that time, wish I bought more though.

My top favorites in order are Sufix 832, Sufix Performance, and Academy Sports Korean Made H20 Express X8, Academy Sports Pro Cat, and finally power pro.

If I was new to braid, I would start with either of the Academy Sports brand lines, they are cheap, and just as good as Sufix Performance. The pro cat is about $20 for 500 yards of line.

21 hours ago, Thumb-Burner said:

What lb test sufix 832 would be similar diameter to 20# fireline?

I believe 20# fireline breaks somewhere around 47lbs. I love how sufix 832 30# cast but only trust fireline 20# when fishing boulder fields

I still use 832 for some situations where toughness is desired, but mostly use Daiwa 8X J-Braid for better casting distance and I think it ties better leader knots.