Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jrzyripper

Flying to Aruba with Braided spools

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Gents- Headed down to Aruba next weekend and bringing along my travel rod and an expensive reel. I have searched these forums high and low and none of the Aruba threads mentioned traveling with braided line. I will be putting my travel rod in my checked suitcase but I refuse to put my reel in my suitcase in case of theft. I know I’ll be fine with the braid flying out of the US but the return flight could cause a problem. I know Costa Rica considers line a deadly weapon and needs to be checked. Throw the spool in the checked bag on the way home ? I guess a spool is easier to replace rather than a reel. 

Can any of you Aruba sharpies comment on their airport security and braided spools? Cheers !

Posted (edited) · Report post

Either check the spool or remove the braid and get new line when you get home.

It's much cheaper to replace the line then it will be the spool if it goes missing

Edited by NJ Dave

I just flee last week and will again Saturday. My reels are 100% carry-on. No way I am checking them. 

You could take the braid off the reel spool (put it back on the plastic spool), check the plastic spool of braid and carry on your reel with no line on it?

1 hour ago, jrzyripper said:

Flying from Aruba to the US?

Yes, both ways in my carry on.  Never bothered to check out the rules to tell you the truth.  I fished the docks before dawn, hooked up with a smalll tarpon and got thrown.  They liked SP minnows, I lost 3 of them to Cuda.  I put on wire then they stopped biting.  

8 hours ago, mike3dr said:

Yes, both ways in my carry on.  Never bothered to check out the rules to tell you the truth.  I fished the docks before dawn, hooked up with a smalll tarpon and got thrown.  They liked SP minnows, I lost 3 of them to Cuda.  I put on wire then they stopped biting.  

Thanks. I can’t wait. There’s a huge rock jetty and lots of docks and some mangrove marsh by our house. 

If your removing the spool, buy a spare spool just incase your spool isn't there.

If you're not fishing alot, just bring a more humble reel.  Fishing is about relaxing.

There is a large seller who sells tackle direct-ly just outside atlantic city.  Likely they have it.  Or a nice reel for less than a spare spool.

If you got toothy critters, you might want to pick up heavy fluoro leaders.  I use 100lb in SC surf.  I bring 140 incase.  Bull Reds don't mind them at all.

I use plain old superglue on a double uniknot.

Edited by salt deficient