Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jimj100

power handle options akios 666

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

The akios 666 shuttle is very nice, but the handle is suboptimal... I would prefer a handle with a bearing and an "egg" type of grip. The abu 7000 has this type of handle, but its shaft larger diameter. 

Would a handle from a 6500 fit on the akios reel? Seems some models have egg type power handles...

What are my options here for handle upgrade??

THanks for any input! 

Jim 

Akios makes a power handle or you can get one of these (two ball bearings) from a well known reel guru, color coded to your reel.

20181202_192118.jpg

I have a box with an Omoto handle in it that fits the Chief 5000 and 6000 models.

Below is what is printed on the box:

Daiwa

T3/RYOGA/STEEZ/PX

ZILLION/AGGREST/VALLETTA

SEABORG/LEOBRITZ/MAGMAX

HYPER TANACOM/TANACOM BULL

ABU

AMBASSADEUR S/SX/STX

PRO ROCKET/RECORD/C3/C4

REVO/ORRA/MAX

The Akios 555 and 656 driveshaft is probably the same size as the Omoto 5000 and 6000 driveshaft.

I do not know about the Akios 666 driveshaft.

I can not vouch on the accuracy of the above.

Don

Prolly the closet thing is an Abu power handle. I don't know about the ball bearing thing you desire, but if ya go up on Amazon or Ebay and do a "power handle reel" search all kinds of things pop up. 

5 hours ago, jimmy z said:

Prolly the closet thing is an Abu power handle. I don't know about the ball bearing thing you desire, but if ya go up on Amazon or Ebay and do a "power handle reel" search all kinds of things pop up. 

yeah, i can find them, i just don't know if they will fit. I have contacted a few sellers for some dimensions. I think the 6500 handle will probably work, but i need a little more certainty .. thanks for the comments folks

4 hours ago, fishhawkxxx said:

If not mistaken the handle for the abu 6500 will fit an akious 656 but not the handle nut retainer.

Very good point. 

In fact a screw for the handle nut retainer may also be needed as Omoto changed (standardized) the sizes a couple of years ago. Instead of buying a handle only, Omoto recommends buying a handle kit.  The kit should / may include: handle, handle nut, handle nut retainer, handle nut retainer screw.

Although the correct diameter metric screw may be available from your local hardware store, the length is usually too long. I was able to find one at a commercial specialty shop. Since the length was only slightly long, it was corrected by putting a lock washer under the screw head.