I12fsh

Key West shore fishing

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

If you do decide to buy shrimp, don’t buy the frozen ones. They are too soft. If nothing else buy live and if they die still use them. Thread the tail on a jig. 

Ive never done any good inshore using squid. 

Any recommendations on cast nets. I have always wanted to try this. Might get one up here a Cabelas. There are different mesh sizes. I might get one and check it out. 

2 hours ago, turkaholic said:

Any recommendations on cast nets. I have always wanted to try this. Might get one up here a Cabelas. There are different mesh sizes. I might get one and check it out. 

3/8" mesh....and I wouldn't go any bigger than 6'....especially if it's your first net...even better--consider a 5.....if the baits there, you're gonna get ALL you need.

14 hours ago, saltfisherman said:

If you do decide to buy shrimp, don’t buy the frozen ones. They are too soft. If nothing else buy live and if they die still use them. Thread the tail on a jig. 

Ive never done any good inshore using squid. 

Good advice here.

and if you don't go thru an entire bucket of live....(if you have one)...vacuum seal the rest. I've used shrimp out of the vac 2 weeks later (tipping jigs) and they work just fine. Refrigerate--don't freeze.

as for squid--save that for a sabiki....about all its good for around here.

Cheap cast nets at bass p. Are these 30 - $40 nets decent? You can buy a bucket for $5. Never thought I would buy a bucket. Looked into buying bait $ 20 for 12 pilchards. I’m looking forward to learning to use a net. Do minnow traps work? Also wondering if anyone uses a dropper with a fly? I’m hoping a 10’ kayak will fit in my mid size suv rental. If not I will be renting at state parks I guess.

Fish all the bridges at night on 1. Nothing at one spot?  Go to the next. I would swim jig Tsunami's and Storms or rig up your own stuff. You'll find Snook and jump Tarpon. Have heavy leader. Hang out and fish with some great folks down there. It's a joy fishing with the shrimpers in the disco lights run on car batteries.

1 hour ago, I12fsh said:

Any particular lures for a barracuda ? Gotta assume metal fished fast, heavy leader.

just dont go overboard with the leader. especially with lures. so long as its wire, you can get away with 10-15#.....max. You'll do just fine this way. 

Titanium? even better.

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 1/10/2019 at 9:24 PM, z-man said:

Bring a pack of gulp shrimp and jig heads. All the fish down there love shrimp. 

^^^^^^^^Right here you got it !   1/4 , 3/8  jig head  20 lb braid 25 lb fluoro leader under 1A bridge One last thing once your ready to go home THROW THAT GULP  AWAY !  give us a report 

On 1/10/2019 at 5:41 PM, I12fsh said:

In 3 weeks going with wife to Florida,  with 3 days in key west.  Bringing an 8 ft rod and reel to fish from the beach/bulkhead/dock at the hotel if possible. Any particular 1-3oz lures I should bring down there with me? I figured some Storm shades, small tins, etc. I'll be staying on Stock Island right outside of Key West if that helps. Thanks

Edited by Hook I

1 hour ago, Hook I said:

One last thing once your ready to go home THROW THAT GULP  AWAY !  give us a report 

I had gulp juice leak in my suitcase a few years ago. It was pretty nasty. The last trip I put the gulp in a small ziplock bag and the put that in a larger ziplock bag and it was fine.