I12fsh

Key West shore fishing

Rate this topic

40 posts in this topic

In 3 weeks going with wife to Florida,  with 3 days in key west.  Bringing an 8 ft rod and reel to fish from the beach/bulkhead/dock at the hotel if possible. Any particular 1-3oz lures I should bring down there with me? I figured some Storm shades, small tins, etc. I'll be staying on Stock Island right outside of Key West if that helps. Thanks

I12.......bag the lure search...

...take 2-3 days to learn the castnet.

youll enjoy your keys time exponentially more.

trust me.

Only there for 3 days, just want to play around , nothing too serious. Not really a "fishing" trip. If I catch anything it's a bonus. 

Set up a chicken rig for the docks and bulkheads.  #1 offset circle or J hooks.  1 oz bank sinker.  Not sure if they have sheepshead down there but they are biting around Florida.  Live shrimp and crabs will be your best baits.  Take a shrimp bucket.  Or you can always buy a can of oysters in a supermarket and cut those up.  Or barnacles if you have a way of scraping them.   If you're using braid, have about three feet of 20-25 lbs fluro leader. Or you can just freeline the shrimp with a tiny weight.   I was just down there but no opportunity to fish.  Enjoy.

Thanks everyone, probably not going to use bait.  Also, can I just get the 3 day license when I get to Florida, I will be  north of Miami a couple of days before going to Keys.

1 hour ago, I12fsh said:

Can that I get that license at a Walmart?

Yep most all Walmart’s will sell you the license. Hit some canals while your near Miami and catch a couple peacocks!