Running Ape

Anyone built a lumberyard skiff?

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

I bought the plans and some of the materials then changed my mind last minute and built the SK-14 instead. The guy who has the build videos on YouTube is down in Clearwater FL and I've spend a good number of days out with him if you have any questions.

I helped build a brockaway copy when i was a teen.......We used a beat up brockaway as a template......It came out ok but had hi speed control issues...........Lady bugs are good boats......The guys who build them worked with George Williams..........

Edited by robc22

On 1/10/2019 at 5:41 PM, Running Ape said:

Anyone here build a lumberyard skiff, brockway or ladybug skiff? 

I looked at those flat bottomed designs before deciding to build my Classic 17 from Bateau. Came to the conclusion that a shallow v bottom would better suit my needs.

Not a lot more work....way better ride imo.

DSC00079-01.jpg

c17.jpg

Thanks Casey....im thinking of starting another build as I transition into retirement in a few years.

Going to need something to keep busy.....you looking for an old but nimble deckhand:howdy:

The building of the -Shirley K.

As a young skinny kid I can remember this guy and he was huge!

His name was Shirley K. Eldredge and he was a shell fisherman.

Down on Bridge Street this fellow gets to looking at a small patch of trees across the street from the marina  and with his hatchet starts chopping and shaving a few trees.

The next thing you know is a Nickerson lumber truck drops off some planks and Shirley K. gets to nailing them on to three trees about knee high.

This is followed by cutting the trees off above the planks nailed to the trees followed by screwing on some tongue and grove cedar planking for the bottom

With the bottom installed the tree trunks were cut off under the boat and the Shirley K. was ready to check fer leaks.

I saw this man a few years later scalloping with his Scot-Atwater outboard motor

with an Inch of Ice but not sure If it was his built boat.