BoLin

Virginia Setting Max Size for Striped Bass?

Rate this topic

73 posts in this topic

What happens in the bull redfish fishery?  Is there a trophy tag?  Or are all trophy reds required to be released?

Bring back the slot fish

bring back the slot fish

bring back the slot fish

bring back the slot fish

bring back the slot fish

bring back the slot fish

bring back the slot fish

bring back the slot fish

Yesssss! i finally get to use my chant! And its actually relavent!

Posted (edited) · Report post

Why are you guys pushing a slot limit so hard?? One guy on the internet said its the way to go so you trust them? The majority of the bass that we are seeing are < 28". In 2-3 years these bass will be of spawning age and "keeper" size. This large majority of the stock needs to be protected. Itd also be nice to protect the LARGE breeders to help keep their good DNA in the pool.

Edited by DragonsLax48

19 hours ago, Terry Mac said:

LOL, that's great!!!! Those pinhead Va. boys are going to be cussing through their missing teeth about this one. 

I think you have us confused with Alabama and Mississippi.

Edited by dixiekraut

13 mins ago, lonellr said:

The minimum size keeper in MD is 19". You won't see them as keeper size if they don't make it out of the Chesapeake. 

combine that with charters that run 2 trips a day all summer long usually with 6-8 people and those fish stand no chance.  I was given a Groupon to go on one years ago.  The charter was trolling illegal rigs (more than legal limit of hooks per umbrella rig) and pulling in 4 fish at a time per setup.  It was disgusting.  Their whole goal was to put enough meat on the boat for a limit for all parties and get back to the dock quick as possible.

That single charter is effectively wiping out 224 20-25" bass a week all summer long. June-September that is almost 3600 fish that single charter has killed.  there are TONS of these charters on the bay too.  They on their own are wiping out millions of pounds of bass each summer before they grow enough to migrate and spawn.  Then factor in the recs that have boats and go out. Every one of them feels the need to take their limit home usually for the whole boat too.  There are even more of these guys out there.  From the bay bridge on a nice weekend day you can literally see 100+ boats all out there looking for bass.

They need to tighten up regs in the bay, knock it down to 1 fish per person.  That would probably cut the kill number down by more than 50% as some anglers only in it for the kil/meatl wouldn't feel it was worth going out for a single fish and I doubt people would want to spend $100+ to go out on a charter and end up coming home with 3lb of meat all said and done.

Edited by kurazy kracka

2 hours ago, MichaelT said:

This is a hard one for me for one reason. I usually only keep a fish or two a year being ones I can’t return alive. Problem being they are usually bigger fish caught from the surf that exhaust themselves during the fight. I would just hate to throw a dead fish away just because of a size limit. The tag system is appealing and would help some but not as much as many think because many of the larger fish caught are on charts by people who only fish once or twice a year. But then tags are a tool to address not having to throw back dead fish. 

I can't see any viable solution to this problem.  It's an unfortunate and sad fact that a percentage of our catch will die after release/during the fight.  Kind of something we all need to come to terms with.  My way of dealing with it is by telling myself that I am having a negative impact by reeling in these fish, so I better do something positive when given the chance to make up for it as best I can.

So while it may suck not being able to legally take that already dead fish home, if the net impact of "releasing" that dead fish is more swimming breeders, I am okay with it.  

3 hours ago, CWitek said:

"We want our pros and the advisory committee to give us some ideas so that we can present them to the angling public to help this fishery," Bowman said. "We want to be proactive and protect this very important fish."

Really?  Seriously?  Aren't we well past being PROACTIVE and solidly into the realm of REACTIVE at this point?  It's statements like these that just add to the frustration.

7 mins ago, vinnyb said:

Really?  Seriously?  Aren't we well past being PROACTIVE and solidly into the realm of REACTIVE at this point?  It's statements like these that just add to the frustration.

That’s sadly funny 

9 mins ago, vinnyb said:

Being reactive is the policy of management at best and is behind the cycling of the fishery; it cant be expected to reasonably deliver sustainability. Being proactive is the way to go especially for systemic change.

2 hours ago, MichaelT said:

This is a hard one for me for one reason. I usually only keep a fish or two a year being ones I can’t return alive. Problem being they are usually bigger fish caught from the surf that exhaust themselves during the fight. I would just hate to throw a dead fish away just because of a size limit. The tag system is appealing and would help some but not as much as many think because many of the larger fish caught are on charts by people who only fish once or twice a year. But then tags are a tool to address not having to throw back dead fish. 

Mike

i have a few comments here. First, philosophically, why would it be a waste to put the fish that you mentioned back? Why does it only have value if it’s kept? Keeping it, eating a small portion and throwing the freezer burned fillets in the trash is a waste. Putting that fish back into the water, where it will certainly be eaten by something is not a waste. Unfortunate, yes but not a waste. Keeping a fish or not should not be the thing that determines ‘value’. 

Second, those bigger fish that you mentioned, they all have consumption advisories. Ymmv  there. 

Third, years ago I did more than a few trips with Capt Al Anderson in RI. Al probably tagged more fish than any other person. On one trip we had a bass that was badly hooked, bleeding from the gills. Al tagged it. When I asked him about it he said the outcome was far from certain. He told me that whenever he had a badly hooked fish that he tagged he noted on the tag card. On occasion he would get returns from fish that he assumed would die but obviously didn’t. 

Fourth, fish are very hardy creatures . If they were as delicate as we thought at times there wouldn’t be many in the ocean. That doesn’t mean that they don’t need care when being handled but I think they are capable of surviving a lot more than we think. 

If you’re seeing fish that are too tired to put back upscale the tackle, fight them harder, etc. 

I have kept my share of bass over the years, some for the table, some to win a prize, fish too gravely injured to be put back, etc but I’m done keeping them at this point. I think the last time I kept one was 2013. Never again. They all go back now. Hopefully they survive but if they do turn over they’re still going back. 

2 hours ago, DragonsLax48 said:

Why are you guys pushing a slot limit so hard?? One guy on the internet said its the way to go so you trust them? The majority of the bass that we are seeing are < 28". In 2-3 years these bass will be of spawning age and "keeper" size. This large majority of the stock needs to be protected. Itd also be nice to protect the LARGE breeders to help keep their good DNA in the pool.

The majority of those fish will not be here in 2-3 years to reproduce because as soon as they are 28 they are gone. They only START to breed around 28" so why oh why would we protect them until they are just ready to breed????  A 32" or 36" min size would allow all that survive by all other means to breed for a few years. The benefit of which when you allow for how many more there will be will help the population tremendously just with that change alone !!! I like and believe in slots but there are problems this solution while dependent on individual states is the quickest and in my opinion the most effective way to re start this thing.  :rav: