BoLin

Virginia Setting Max Size for Striped Bass?

Rate this topic

73 posts in this topic

39 mins ago, kurazy kracka said:

catch your 50", take a pic and if you really want a mount a few measurements and have one made based off that.  She lives and you get your trophy.

Agree, but I can see that being a serious sticking point to any laws they might try to pass which is why I bring it up.

I'm willing to sacrifice a small handful of 50's to save thousands of 40's

1 hour ago, Sudsy said:

Agree, but I can see that being a serious sticking point to any laws they might try to pass which is why I bring it up.

I'm willing to sacrifice a small handful of 50's to save thousands of 40's

A trophy tag system would take care of this - everyone gets one trophy tag per season that would allow them to keep one fish over (insert appropriate poundage).

4 hours ago, YakDawg said:

A professor who gave a seminar at Surf Day a few years ago said the large breeders produce 83,000 eggs per pound plus the yolk sacks the young are born with are larger from the big bass increasing the survival rate of the fry. There also is no egg production drop off as they get older.

There ya go - more science and biology :read:  I read it in research done 20 years ago...figured it hasn't changed since then, no matter how much people want to pretend big bass are past their prime breeding age - it simply isn't true. 

TimS

58 mins ago, Surfratiam said:

What about NJ and our limits? Where is the recreational out cry about Jerseyites keeping two or three bass?The slaughter each spring in Raritan bay?

Worst fish grab regulations in any state but MD - including those with commercial fisheries. 

TimS