BoLin

Virginia Setting Max Size for Striped Bass?

Rate this topic

73 posts in this topic

I agree that the ideal situation would be for all of the states in the striped bass fishery to implement the same rules as it relates to maximum size allowed.  Having said that, it needs to begin somewhere.

I kinda like it

Should be able to keep a fish over 50" though. 

We're all hunting that 50lb trophy fish

and from everything I've read, they are no longer viable breeders at that point anyway

It’s a start in the right direction. Hopefully all states will follow. It is stupid to kill large females with the fishery in decline. According  to who you talk to the larger fish cast more eggs that are also more viable than smaller fish. I’m all for regulations that protect the breeders. These who don’t remember the past  are condemned to repeat it (George Santayana). No he wasn’t at the Alamo. I wouldn’t live long enough to see a recovery to another crash in Striper population. 

I’m all for a slot limit. Maybe 28-34” or over 48”. Until the angling community values these fish for sport, rather than “food” or a pat on the back, things just won’t improve. The culture of today’s recreational angler needs to change. 

31 mins ago, Sudsy said:

I kinda like it

and from everything I've read, they are no longer viable breeders at that point anyway

Yup, it’s on the internetz...

we are doomed 

1 hour ago, Sudsy said:

I kinda like it

never seen info to back up the 50" thing, just people saying it.  I have seen studies that say the bigger the fish the more eggs she produces and the hardier those eggs are.

catch your 50", take a pic and if you really want a mount a few measurements and have one made based off that.  She lives and you get your trophy.

1 hour ago, Sudsy said:

^^^Lies. They have larger eggs and more of them which produce larger, more viable young with a better chance of surviving than the young of smaller bass :read:

TimS

22 mins ago, kurazy kracka said:

never seen info to back up the 50" thing, just people saying it.  I have seen studies that say the bigger the fish the more eggs she produces and the hardier those eggs are.

^^^^ biology agrees with you

16 mins ago, TimS said:

^^^Lies. They have larger eggs and more of them which produce larger, more viable young with a better chance of surviving than the young of smaller bass :read:

TimS

A professor who gave a seminar at Surf Day a few years ago said the large breeders produce 83,000 eggs per pound plus the yolk sacks the young are born with are larger from the big bass increasing the survival rate of the fry. There also is no egg production drop off as they get older.

Post itself ticks me off.

”In support of conservation measures when needed...”

Idk who Mike Avery is, but I’d bet money on the Virginia Secretary of Natural Resources  knowing more about when these measures are needed. I would love to see the north east/mid-Atlantic implement more slot limits.