IT People - The Windows 7 Network Patch From Hell

Rate this topic

JoeyZac

Anyone running Windows 7 in a network environment where you connect via UNCs or network shares?

Windows Update just smacked you down hard.  Take a look, you're like broke, and don't even know it yet.

I got taken down hard by this yesterday at my business and fixed it, but it seems like nation wide Network Admins are waking up to ugliness today.

This thing messes up SMB communication over network shares.  You mapped drives and UNC based shortcuts won't work, and it's not a name resolution issue (what I thought at first), so don't look at DNS, it's in your update history, and the patch that Windows Update pulled down automatically on 9th got ya.

Microsoft's killer Windows 7 patch: Breaks networking, bricks legit 'Not genuine' PCs

Some Windows 7 admins are feeling the pain of Microsoft's latest updates in this week's Patch Tuesday releases. 

Thankfully for Microsoft, hardworking admins continue to spot bugs that it didn't detect during pre-release testing. 

This time they've found that its January security updates are bricking Windows 7 devices with an errant 'Not Genuine' Windows license error, and a bug that blocks administrator access to remote shares on Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7.

The issues stem from the Monthly Rollup update, KB4480970, and the security-only update, KB4480960, for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1.

59 mins ago, JoeyZac said:

Anyone running Windows 7 in a network environment where you connect via UNCs or network shares?

Windows Update just smacked you down hard.  Take a look, you're like broke, and don't even know it yet.

I got taken down hard by this yesterday at my business and fixed it, but it seems like nation wide Network Admins are waking up to ugliness today.

This thing messes up SMB communication over network shares.  You mapped drives and UNC based shortcuts won't work, and it's not a name resolution issue (what I thought at first), so don't look at DNS, it's in your update history, and the patch that Windows Update pulled down automatically on 9th got ya.

Microsoft's killer Windows 7 patch: Breaks networking, bricks legit 'Not genuine' PCs

Some Windows 7 admins are feeling the pain of Microsoft's latest updates in this week's Patch Tuesday releases. 

Thankfully for Microsoft, hardworking admins continue to spot bugs that it didn't detect during pre-release testing. 

This time they've found that its January security updates are bricking Windows 7 devices with an errant 'Not Genuine' Windows license error, and a bug that blocks administrator access to remote shares on Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7.

The issues stem from the Monthly Rollup update, KB4480970, and the security-only update, KB4480960, for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1.

take it to the nerd forum 

:dismay:

nerd.jpg

The village, which had stood for maybe 1,000 years, didn't know we were coming that day. If they had, they would have run. boB was at the eye of our rage. And through him, our Captain Ahab. He would set things right again. That day, we loved him.

1 hour ago, faithless said:

Thanks for the heads up. I migrated 90% of my office to linux servers replacing desktop software with web based solutions just using dumb rasberry pi access terminals. But there are few old timers that are stubborn. 

mmmmmm rasberry pi :drool: 

You know it must be a penguin bound down if you hear that terrible screaming and there ain't no other birds around.