tomkaz

The Mopfly - Who is willng to admit using them?

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

This is a Mop Fly a friend of mine ties in Florida that works extremely well on The Small Tarpon on Sanibel. I also think it would work extremely well on a lot of the The Cape Ponds.

5c38890c30614_PeteSquibbMopFly.jpg.dc51b9940ce6b62f1bedaca27066741e.jpg

Funny, my son's boss at the shop in MT made comment about building a wall around Montana to keep out the mop flies the other day.  I have not tried them yet.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Chenille flies have been around for years and have always caught fish. The mop is just a "livelier" version. One of my favorite chenille flies  is the Montana Nymph I began using it in the 70's and never stopped. One day many years ago Greg Hoover was on the Farmington River in CT. doing some research for his book Great Rivers, Great Hatches, well nothing was hatching and he proceeded to hook and land fish after fish. My friend thought he must have some special fly on so he asked "the question". He was shocked to see a hook wrapped with green chenille from E.J. Hille. The color was Honey Dew or something like that. I have no problem using mop flies. They would have been in my box in the 70's right next to my Wooly Worms where they are now. 

Edited by steingm

Mop flies are a god down here in the southern states. The trout of north and south Carolina love them. I find the white and green colors work best but most of these stocked fish are not picky. 

On 1/11/2019 at 7:16 AM, bonefishdick said:

This is a Mop Fly a friend of mine ties in Florida that works extremely well on The Small Tarpon on Sanibel. I also think it would work extremely well on a lot of the The Cape Ponds.

5c38890c30614_PeteSquibbMopFly.jpg.dc51b9940ce6b62f1bedaca27066741e.jpg

Ok that looks rude

On 1/11/2019 at 10:15 AM, steingm said:

Chenille flies have been around for years and have always caught fish. The mop is just a "livelier" version. One of my favorite chenille flies  is the Montana Nymph I began using it in the 70's and never stopped. One day many years ago Greg Hoover was on the Farmington River in CT. doing some research for his book Great Rivers, Great Hatches, well nothing was hatching and he proceeded to hook and land fish after fish. My friend thought he must have some special fly on so he asked "the question". He was shocked to see a hook wrapped with green chenille from E.J. Hille. The color was Honey Dew or something like that. I have no problem using mop flies. They would have been in my box in the 70's right next to my Wooly Worms where they are now. 

Is the mop fly a worm , scud ? Your post is interesting , as the more years experience anglers  posts here make what this place is . Thanks for sharing 

Hook I, it's my opinion, that way too many folks put to much stock in what they think a fly imitates. It's a fallacy of being human. We often assume way too much, because of what we see. 

I can't answer your question, because they may imitate many things that a fish might eat. It's possible they may also imitate nothing a fish might eat, but fish don't always grab a lure or fly due to hunger. 

The fact is, these mop strand concoctions do work, and many fish species will grab them. There is something about them that's attractive to these fish. Have you ever fished with a "senko" type plastic? Can you answer what they might imitate? Possibly various things, just as these mop flies do, but we can't ever really know for sure. Only matters that they do work. :)

On 1/10/2019 at 2:34 PM, flyman28 said:

I thought that was just an evolution of the famous "Green Weenie"

That fly just flat out catches....

The Senko works in mysterious ways.  They're always in my box, the one or two times a year I fish some spin tackle.   I was thinking about what makes mop fly effective.  I wonder if it's the shape.  A mop piece has a nice round taper.  You can't get that with chenille or even the mop fly chenille fly shops are selling these days.   Most mop flies I see are tied with shorter pieces when you can find mops with longer pieces, 1 1/2 to 2 inches long, the flies tied with them have a nice wiggle or undulation when you retrieve them.  As to what they imitate, I think you could argue that the color of the piece used determines what they imitate.  Grey, tan, fluorescent green, brown could imitate various nymphs, pupae or larvae.  When you get to the larger sizes, white could be bait fish.  White pieces can be dyed(usually come out in a pastel shade) or colored with permanent markers.  So if you get olive, black or brown you have leeches or  hellgrammites, even crayfish.  It's fun to play with them and see what comes out.  I did a couple in red, hoping to get a chance to fish the cinder worm hatch.  Not sure whether these would have caught anything, maybe this year.

P2160125.JPG

First try with the wash mitt. Hook, bead, black thread, wash mitt nub, swipe of wax, pinch of fox and squirrel. They look buggy enough for me.

wash1.jpg