tomkaz

The Mopfly - Who is willng to admit using them?

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

Originally known as the “Mamma’s Bathroom” pattern, it is now known as the mopfly. Funny background story but it seems to work on a wide range of species and waters. But it is also maligned by some. 

So who has used them, when, where and how did it work? 

Mop_Fly_800x.jpg?v=1514776462

Yep! used them quite a bit up on the streams in Rangeley Me and Grand Lake Stream.Also,on the Androscoggin in Dixfield,Rumford,Mexico,& Jay Me.

Cool. I have seen it in catalogs but have not fished myself. I learned of it, under its original name, on an Orvis podcast with Tom Rosenbauer. The guy who wrote in also post a longer version of his letter to Tom on the FFF:

The Momma's Bathrobe Fly

Here is a little bit of back story about the much lauded Mop Fly that I have been hearing so much about. The real name of the fly is the Momma’s Bathrobe. They have been sold on Ebay for years. The inventor of the fly is a jokester from Northwest Ohio named John. He came up with the idea of the fly while sitting on his throne…doing what guys named John do best. The day before his wife put a new rug down on the floor that was a soft shade of brown and made of chenille fingers/yarn. The chenille fingers look just like chunks of night crawler. John harvested a few fingers and used super glue to affix them to his hooks. He took the flies to a local trout pond and history was made.  

The name Momma’s Bathrobe came because of the cuddly feel of the fly…much like Momma’s Chenille Bathrobe but more importantly he just knew his uptight traditional fly fishing buddies would struggle because of it….and they did. The buddy they call The Judge won’t even say the name let alone use the fly. What the Judge hates the most is the construction of the fly. The chenille was super glued to the hook…."fly fishermen just don’t do that" according to the judge.  

John is one of the finest and most generous people you’ll ever meet but as I said he has quite a sense of humor. He just loves to crack himself up. Watching other fisherman's reaction to the fly always cracks him up. John has given Momma’s Bathrobe flies to fishermen all over Ohio, Michigan and Pennsylvania. He just loves to catch a fish or two, have another fisherman mosey his way and start a conversation about what’s working. Out comes a few Momma’s Bathrobes for the guy…and then comes the “what’s it called” question. "MOMMA’S BATHROBE" John says and the reaction is anything from nervous laughter to shyness to disgust even though they just watched him catch fish with it. As I said, I think he gives the fly away just so he can watch the reaction as the fishermen struggle over the name. That reaction seems to crack him up with some kind of warped pleasure.  

It catches just about any freshwater fish 29” steelhead in Erie PA., 22” Largemouth from Lake Leann, Michigan, brown trout, brook trout, rainbows, bluegill, crappie and catfish….seems nothing can resist the Momma’s Bathrobe. The most effective color is Chartreuse green or spring green fished in a dead drift or under a strike indicator (aka bobber to you cane pole purists).

Many stores now carry the intense bright green chenille dust mops, Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart, Menards, Meijer’s, Kroger and many others so materials are easy to find. The fly now is made by tying the end of the chenille just behind the hook eye to give more life to the tail. Tying with a little red or black head seems to be the best. The original was easy but crude. Just cut off the chenille fingers, dab a little super glue on the end or melt the end to stop raveling, put a drop of glue on the hook and the hold the hook to the chenille…go fishing. They look really cool with a black soft hackle collar. Size 8 hook is about right. Good Fishing and hope you can get some fish and chuckles with the Momma’s Bathrobe. Steelhead281

I've caught Lake Erie steelhead with an identical fly. It was called a "hot weenie" or maybe "fred's weenie." Hot pink was the ticket. I think it was more the color than the pattern that worked for me. As I recall anything in hot pink was catching fish. I ran out of egg patterns in that color and switched to a mop fly and continued catching.

Amazing what can be done with household materials and how effective they can be.  

Kind of like using these pipe cleaners to make weighted steelhead "flies" 

fuzzy-pipe-cleaner-stems-chenille-craft-stems.jpg

Edited by DZ
spelling

So far, I have resisted the temptation to tie or fish them, but have no qualms about doing so. I have browsed some of the materials in various stores, just have not made a purchase. Like smath, I have tied & fished the "Weenie" patterns and San Juan worms in various colors, and for whatever reasons there are many folks who don't care for them either. Frankly, its my opinion that stubbornness can be directly related to a lack of fishing success sometimes. I try to be open minded, and fly fishing, as much as I enjoy it is not a spiritual ritual for me. In my youth, I had fished live baits & various lures with my fly gear, so using a bit of this material doesn't bother me one bit. 

Folks can do what they like, and I like tying and fishing, so what's on the end of my line will be something I feel I can have success with using, even if it's a strand of mop or bathrobe material! :laugh:

Edited by tidewaterfly

Trout streams, Bass lakes , Carp pond . all worked , time and place , I'll agree I like pink , Walt's Worm , Sawyer's Killer Bug /  Utah killer bug use was very popular before the Mop Fly came about and you don't have to crazy looking for the yarn of the others . 

I've used them.  I'm quite certain I'll go to hell for that along with the sordid "Squirmy Wormy" affair on the Green River UT a few years ago. 

I got introduced to them early last spring.  My salt water club was doing a tying demonstration at the LL Bean's in Marlton, NJ and the club president was tying bright orange ones.  He swore they were deadly on chain pickerel.  I borrowed a couple of pieces and tied up a couple when I got home.  Took them out to a local creek caught a stocked rainbow, a crappie and a bluegill with the.  That started me down the slippery slope.  I've got a couple boxes of them from small ones tied on size 10 and 12 hooks that I use for trout and pan fish to some that are 2 1/2 to 3 inches long tied up for bass and chain pickerel.  They do work I've caught several species on them.  I caught these up in the Poconos,

P5210247 (2).JPG

P5210251 (2).JPG

P5210249 (3).JPG

26 mins ago, flyman28 said:

I thought that was just an evolution of the famous "Green Weenie"

It's not quite the same.  Actually a different material.  The first ones I saw on line were gray patterns designed to imitate crane fly larvae.  Even the Green Weenie was most likely created to imitate a green rock worm(caddis larvae).  Here's a couple tied up from a bright green mini-mop  one would be the "Green Weenie" imitation, the other a green inch worm(floating)

P3130134 (2).JPG

P3130137 (3).JPG

1 hour ago, Philly said:

It's not quite the same.  Actually a different material.  The first ones I saw on line were gray patterns designed to imitate crane fly larvae.  Even the Green Weenie was most likely created to imitate a green rock worm(caddis larvae).  Here's a couple tied up from a bright green mini-mop  one would be the "Green Weenie" imitation, the other a green inch worm(floating)

I like your floating version. I'll tie some up for panfish this spring.

13 hours ago, DAQ said:

I have not tied or fished a Mop but I did pick this up recently to tie with. Should be a lifetime supply.

wash.jpg

Lifetime sipply hahahahaha